AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just to preface, I have seen both the HT200 and HT250 at forum member's apartments and never noticed the rainbow effect....watched everything from Gladiator and 5th Element, with no rainbows. I probably spent 3-4 hours demoing it basically with all different kinds of movies.

So, I bought the demo HT200 from AVS, and after watching Toy Story 2 on Wed. and not noticing anything, I started watching movies on Friday night. I see it everywhere guys...my roommate sees it as well as his girlfriend, but they don't see it near as much as me...just a few times in a movie. This weekend, a friend from out of town came in and couldn't see a thing....Now from doing a few searches, this is supposedly the most rainbow free projector---

Anyways, now I am freaking out. I see it in every movie I put on...not just a rainbow or two either---everywhere. I haven't even put on Gladiator because I am scared too...

I am running the HT200 on a wall sitting 12' back, and being fed a progressive signal from a RP91. Is there anything I can do? Scalar, HTPC, Gray Screen, config.???

The bad thing is I really love the machine--the colors are outstanding...the picture is so crisp. Black level and contrast seem really good--and much better than the direct view tv that I have.

Anyways, i am willing (and may have) to upgrade now to a much more expensive machine if I can avoid the color wheel artifacts...any recommendations? If I can't solve this, I just don't know what to do....after trying to change the way I look at movies etc, i still see it. I guess I am like Smitty and am now ultra-sensitive...

I hope you guys have a few suggestions...

Regards,

Keith

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Hi Keith,

You mentioned that you are are willing to "upgrade" to get rid of the rainbow.

You can lose the spinning color wheel completely by moveing to a 3-chip DLP system, but it will definitely set you back a not-insignificant amount of money more.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Isn't the new HT200DM suppose to eliminate the rainbow effect?

·
Registered
733 Posts
Hi Keith,

At least borrow a laptop and try a 72Hz. refresh rate. For some the improved processing, scaling or whatever makes a difference. The only other thing I can think of is to try a lower gain screen, if you're using a high gain one.

If the above doesn't work you could probably sell it for what you paid and buy a new Seleco with the "improved" colour wheel or try a LCD or D-ILA (new or used).

Seems strange that you have seen this unit before and not had a problem. I would think that if you're sensitive to this, then you're sensitive - what else has changed?

Good luck,

Grant

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah Grant, I am going to try that tomorrow. I am not giving up yet! I have a laptop with WinDVD, and will just grab a cable tomorrow. If that works, then maybe an HTPC is the answer....if not, I guess I will have to sell a great machine! I guess I am just frustrated....as that was the reason I went and saw two beforehand.

It is very strange that I see it now, when I haven't seen it before on the Selecos...although one was using a Vigatec, and the other HTPC...not sure the refresh rate.

I will check, and report back tomorrow....

·
Registered
90 Posts
Keith-

When you were over at my place you didn't have problems with your eyes and not seeing the rainbow that was actually there...it isn't there! I would suggest finding a way to see the projector run with a HTPC as is mine to make sure you have grown highly sensitive to the rainbow. I am very sensitive to the rainbow and only mildly see it just as we all did sitting in my living room. If all else fails I would suggest a look at the DM models or the new DLP's coming out with the improved colour wheel. I agree, the colours on the Seleco are outstanding -

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Keith, in the words of our ex-President (or whatever he was), "I feel your pain." Really, I do. Best of luck in solving it with an HTPC. I never did get a chance to try that, so maybe it will do the trick.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Just like Jonmx said, the HT 200 DM eliminates the rainbow effect, still maintaining the HT 200's picture quality. If you are willing to change or upgrade I'd say that this is definitely a machine to take into consideration.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Keith, sorry to hear that you are seeing rainbows. We did not see any at my place when we ran my HT250 and Vigatec with greyhawk. Perhaps a HTPC or scaler is what you need. Did you see any rainbow on the 250 at my place. I am not very sensitive to Rainbow, although I have seen it on other DLPs. I have never seen it on my 250 though. Good luck, and you are more than welcome to come back and redemo the HT250 and Vigatec combo. Just no pointing out raindows if you do end up seeing them. I don't want to know what to look for on my setup. 5 months of use and I've never seen rainbow effects. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well guys,

I tried my laptop, changing refresh rates (albeit to 75hz, as the Dell tech guy and I couldn't get the option to change to 72--ATI Rage Mobile video card btw--and Dell's support stinks), and on the large 2' x 3' Gray Hawk screen sample. I still see them...I guess I am highly sensitive.

Now it looks like I will probably get the DM if possible...

evillager- of course i wouldn't point out the rainbows!! of course, i didn't even see them at your place (we even talked about it during Gladiator, the supposed king of rainbow sensitivity), but might now...I should stay away http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif don't even look for them...

Smitty and Milori--Now that i am almost in DILA league, is it worth it to spend the extra bucks on a G15? Smitty, now that you have had all 3 technologies, I would like your honest option. I would be using an RP91 for awhile until I get the bucks for a scalar or htpc (probably the latter). Milori, is that going to be ok for a few months? I doubt I will watch any NTSC, as the bulbs are so pricy. Oh yeah, I already have an ISCO II (originally for the HT200) that I just received, yet have not used, so this would work well with a DILA? I recall reading that Dean McManus uses one with great success. I just got promoted on Tuesday, so I can probably stretch a G15 price wise, but this is a big jump from the HT200 I bought. Also, looks like I can now get Time Warner HDTV in my area, so an STB will be purchased soon for HBO and CBS HD. I assume the DILA has no problems with the cheap RCA?

Jeff- maybe the entire screen might reduce rainbows, but with the screen sample, they were still obvious. i wouldn't look for them if I were you http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

funny, because if no one ever mentioned rainbows, i doubt many of us would even see them...

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Keith, in my opinion, the G-15 is a no brainer for you. If you didn't suffer from the rainbow effect, you could go with a DLP, but the rainbow effect really is hard to live with. You could wait for the 6-element color wheel, however, I find that DLP's do not put out as bright an image as the LCD's or the DILA's, even when there is no ambient light. Thus, I think the G-15 gives a noticeable better picture than the DLP's I have seen. In comparison to the LCD's I have seen, including the PLV-60, it is also no contest in my opinion due to the screen door issue. The screen door is virtually non-existent on the G-15 unless you are ridiculously close to the screen, and even then it's barely noticeable due to the much higher fill factor. In my opinion, if you can afford it, the G-15 gives the best picture of the technologies under discussion, and once you have it in your house, you will be absolutely convinced. It's funny, when I finally saw one in my house, I thought: "Ya know, these DILA guys who are always spouting off about how great the DILA's are were not exagerating. I wish I knew three months ago what I know now, and I would have saved a lot of hassle."

I also believe that an external scaler is not necessary for the G-15. Yes it improves it, but you could go for many months and not really need one. In my opinion, the picture from a G-15 without a scaler is still significantly better than a DLP or LCD without a scaler.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.