AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've just moved into a new home that came with a home media room. My old subwoofer was a home built coffee table that didn't make the move, so I need to get a new powered subwoofer. I'm not an audiophile, but I do appreciate feeling rumble in movies and hearing Tchaikovsky's cannons.

The room is setup for one corner loaded subwoofers in front with a line-level wire that runs from the rack to the front/right of the room. I'd prefer one sub rather than somehow splitting this wire to send signal to two subs.

The room is 12.5 ft. across the front, 15.5 Long with (seating at ~10ft), 7ft ceiling. The floor is concrete and the walls are drywall. There is a 7 x 4ft opening at the back of the room that leads to the rest of the basement and stairs -- so the room is not sealed, so to speak.

My speakers are Paradigm Cinema 330 (3 across the front horizontally at ear-level), two Paradigm ADP rears, and two wall-mounted side speakers, all powered by a Pioneer Elite TSX - 03TXH and run through an electronic crossover with variable line-level crossover between 30 and 150. I have a sound meter and a set of test tones for tuning.

The Paradigm speakers meet our volume needs with their relatively small size (4.5" drivers, IRC), so we are not after a really loud sub. I previously crossed them over at 90 Hz where they start to fall off in response. My dilemma is that I only have about $500 in budget.

I looked at the cheap and refurbished on Amazon, including:

Definitive Tech SuperCube III, which refurbed is in the price range, but since it is in the front corner the size is not such an issue and I'm concerned it will only be heard and not felt. I can't really move the sub next to the seats due to the wire located in the front corner.

Velodyne DLS4000RB 12-Inch 200-Watt DLS refurb. I worry that I pay too much for the consumer name and gadget features (remote) and won't get the performance I want.

At the top of the price range is the Hsu VTF-2 MK3. Good reviews, but I just can't decide if it works for my needs.
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-2-mk3.html

The SVS subs, even in the outlet, seem to start at $700, which is out of the budget.

Back to the dilemma. Should I wait until I can spend more or is there something that will likely meet my need?

Thanks in advance,

Ian

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
I would also look at Outlaw Audio LFM-1 Plus. Its $549, basically the same as the HSU you listed above. However it has a more powerful amp and both the 12" sub and the 2 ports are downfiring. I think for a room with a concrete floor the all downfiring design will help give more output along with the more powerful amp.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Outlaw Audio looks like it would meet my needs, but at $660 to my door it's a bit out of my current budget. Via IM the Rythmik FV12 was recommended. I've been reviewing the tech section of their website
http://www.rythmikaudio.com/FV12.html

and I'm intrigued by their servo tech (although I'm not sure how it is differentiated from Velodyne's servo tech). The price is right, as it ships to my door for under $570. I don't see many reviews on AVS, but I found this one via an AVS post:
http://forum.blu-ray.com/subwoofers/...ml#post4787817

Any other thoughts? I'm on the verge of pulling the trigger for an FV12.

Thanks,

Ian

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnythan /forum/post/20893616

My choices would be the FV12, VTF-2, and Epik Legend.

Though I would also strongly consider the 12" Dayton RS1200 kit.

Thanks, I'm learning about brands I've never considered. The Dayton and the Epik are interesting, but I think at that price point I'm leaning towards the FV12, which seems to appear in the recommended list of most posts and messages on this topic. The Dayton ad spec of 500W seems stronger, but I don't see if that is peak or RMS; if RMS, then it is quite a bit stronger than the 350W in the FV12. Does that translate into more loudness (yet still tight musically); the tech talk for the FV12 muddies it a bit (in short the servo tech is purportedly more efficient). Decisions, decisions...

·
Writer & Reviewer
8,936 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacartus /forum/post/20893834

Does that translate into more loudness (yet still tight musically)

There really isn't a direct correlation between wattage, "tightness" and volume. A tremendous portion of the equation is associated to other elements, such as the cabinet design, magnet weight, type and size of the voice coil, efficiency, material the driver is made of, size of the cabinet, and on and on.

In essence, it's the sum of the parts -- not a single component -- that determines the capability of a subwoofer. It's really quite difficult (impossible?) to do much more the postulate when you only factor in one aspect.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacartus /forum/post/0

Thanks, I'm learning about brands I've never considered. The Dayton and the Epik are interesting, but I think at that price point I'm leaning towards the FV12, which seems to appear in the recommended list of most posts and messages on this topic. The Dayton ad spec of 500W seems stronger, but I don't see if that is peak or RMS; if RMS, then it is quite a bit stronger than the 350W in the FV12. Does that translate into more loudness (yet still tight musically); the tech talk for the FV12 muddies it a bit (in short the servo tech is purportedly more efficient). Decisions, decisions...

The Dayton is sealed. You give up about 10-15 Hz of extension and a couple db for a tighter sound. For pure theater, go ported. If you listen to a lot of music, consider sealed.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
After much consideration I bought the FV12 and so far I couldn't be more happy. I'm shocked (pleasantly) at how good this subwoofer sounds in my media room. It is quite "musical" as others have said, even though I don't consider myself an audiophile, I can discern that I'm hearing much cleaner and sharper bass response from this subwoofer. That said, it does not shake or otherwise produce that physical rumbling sensation that a big subwoofer will produce. I had this previously with a 15" (Orion, ~26 lb. in all) in 10 cu.ft. sealed enclosure powered by a Peavey commercial amp. It was great for movies and LOUD music, but I prefer the clean bass of the FV12 in my new and relatively small media room. I may still connect the 15" setup and cut it off really low just to get that rumble for movies...then again I may just throw some rumblers under the seats and not worry about finding somewhere to put the big box.

Thank you for all of the help in selecting this subwoofer.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That is a really good link for anyone researching subwoofers -- good stuff.

As others say, getting a subwoofer to serve double-duty for music and home theater is a compromise in the realm of reasonable budgets. I think the FV12 make a good compromise. Especially with the bass extension tuning:
http://www.rythmikaudio.com/FV12.html

...with a bass cutoff setting for 14, 20 and 28 Hz with a low, medium, or sharp cutoff. I have mine set for a 20 Hz medium cutoff based purely subjectively with the FV12 in the front right corner of my little room.

I'll add that I'm so happy with the performance that I'm just enjoying it and haven't even broken-out the SPL meter and test tones yet...and probably won't be in a rush to do it because I'm not trying to fix any discernible issue.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.