AVS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
6 years ago, when I purchased my Pioneer 111FD, I got all the advice I needed here on this site. Today, I am here again to get some information on Projectors for my HT. I will be building a house and I will have a dedicated HT room 21(L)X14(W)X9(H).

So I am hoping to get as much information as possible about Projectors. ie the Pros and Cons of the different type of technology and brands. Since projectors run more expensive that TV's, my Budget will be no more than 5-6K. I am all about the black levels just like my Kuro.

Lastly here are my parameters. I currently a HDMI Pioneer Receiver, a Blue Ray Player, and a HTPC. What I do not have and will not have anytime soon is 4K content. I am going to wait until my current toys are not longer working before I upgrade. Lastly, while I do not anticipate having my HT up and running until late 2016, if there is something out there that fits my criteria, I have no issues purchasing it now and keeping it in the box until I am ready. While I am at this what are the ideal screens?

·
Registered
19,089 Posts
6 years ago, when I purchased my Pioneer 111FD, I got all the advice I needed here on this site. Today, I am here again to get some information on Projectors for my HT. I will be building a house and I will have a dedicated HT room 21(L)X14(W)X9(H).

So I am hoping to get as much information as possible about Projectors. ie the Pros and Cons of the different type of technology and brands. Since projectors run more expensive that TV's, my Budget will be no more than 5-6K. I am all about the black levels just like my Kuro.

Lastly here are my parameters. I currently a HDMI Pioneer Receiver, a Blue Ray Player, and a HTPC. What I do not have and will not have anytime soon is 4K content. I am going to wait until my current toys are not longer working before I upgrade. Lastly, while I do not anticipate having my HT up and running until late 2016, if there is something out there that fits my criteria, I have no issues purchasing it now and keeping it in the box until I am ready. While I am at this what are the ideal screens?
That puts you in the JVC projector camp, since they have the best contrast and black levels currently. You might look in the JVC RS4910 and RS57 threads, and give us a call at AV Science to discuss projectors too, if you would like.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Craig...I am in the same boat as Stamina. My problem is I have lost touch with the newer models out there. I may have a budget between $4000-5000 ish. I'm not after 3D nor 4K. I simply need something with lense memory. I will be buying a 2:35 screen for action movies but I'm into older 16:9 flicks and ( yikes!) silent films in 4:3. Can you please steer me in the right direction. I know some models are different up here in Canada. Thanks!

·
Registered
631 Posts
Great confirmation. I talked with a JVC rep regarding that model at a Toronto A/V show. He said NOT to go with an A/T screen for this projector. Does the lumens of this projector shine off on the perforated holes too much. This rep was unable to spend more time to explain.

·
Registered
30,259 Posts
Great confirmation. I talked with a JVC rep regarding that model at a Toronto A/V show. He said NOT to go with an A/T screen for this projector. Does the lumens of this projector shine off on the perforated holes too much. This rep was unable to spend more time to explain.
Some people are into the video side a lot more than the audio side of HT. He could be one of those people. Those people will nearly alway recommend a solid screen. As for me, I like a balanced presentation and value audio just as much. I use an AT screen.

·
Banned
10,827 Posts
I'd say, unless you have some remarkably beautiful speakers in your home theater, going with a high quality AT screen is the best compromise to get that all-encompassing "theater" experience. In terms of how the audio is mixed at the studio, the L&R speakers are actually supposed to apart of where the screen is. That is, the L&R sound isn't supposed to come from the outsides of the screen. They're supposed to come from left and right of center of the screen. And without some super strategic speaker placement, you'll never get the correct audio experience without the use of an AT screen. For a true theater sound experience, the speakers are supposed to be placed behind the screen to get proper audio imaging.

Mike (AVScience 5) has one of the best AT screens out there, the Enlightor 4K material from Screen Excellence. If you want an experience with the least amount of comprised you typically get with an AT screen, the Enlightor 4K material is the way to go. Get in touch with him for more advice and excellent pricing.

·
Registered
30,259 Posts
I'd say, unless you have some remarkably beautiful speakers in your home theater, going with a high quality AT screen is the best compromise to get that all-encompassing "theater" experience. In terms of how the audio is mixed at the studio, the L&R speakers are actually supposed to apart of where the screen is. That is, the L&R sound isn't supposed to come from the outsides of the screen. They're supposed to come from left and right of center of the screen. And without some super strategic speaker placement, you'll never get the correct audio experience without the use of an AT screen. For a true theater sound experience, the speakers are supposed to be placed behind the screen to get proper audio imaging.

Mike (AVScience 5) has one of the best AT screens out there, the Enlightor 4K material from Screen Excellence. If you want an experience with the least amount of comprised you typically get with an AT screen, the Enlightor 4K material is the way to go. Get in touch with him for more advice and excellent pricing.
When I first saw that material at CEDIA a few years ago, I asked Chris, when he started making solid screens. The weave is so tight on this material, that standing a few feet away from an EN4K screen, I did not realize it was AT. After seeing the audio specs on the fabric, I decided then and there, that was the screen that I wanted in my HT.

·
Registered
13,395 Posts
Lastly here are my parameters. I currently a HDMI Pioneer Receiver, a Blue Ray Player, and a HTPC. What I do not have and will not have anytime soon is 4K content. I am going to wait until my current toys are not longer working before I upgrade.Lastly, while I do not anticipate having my HT up and running until late 2016, if there is something out there that fits my criteria, I have no issues purchasing it now and keeping it in the box until I am ready. While I am at this what are the ideal screens?
Hi, if you aren't ready for the projector until late 2016, I would wait until closer to that time to purchase. If you buy today, it's just sitting in a box with the warranty wasting away. Better models for the same price as today will be available by the time you are ready.

·
Registered
23,130 Posts
Lastly, while I do not anticipate having my HT up and running until late 2016, if there is something out there that fits my criteria, I have no issues purchasing it now and keeping it in the box until I am ready. While I am at this what are the ideal screens?
Yup, I'm with Zombie, come back in a year. Any advice you get today about specific models will be obsolete long before then. My advice, if you're really interested, is to spend time reading the forum, learing about the topics, brightness, contrast, gamut, HDR, lens quality, constant height. Read up on the pros and cons of screens. And get out there and whenever you have the opportunity to see different systems, take it. Then when you come back in a year you'll be informed on the issues and you'll be able to make good decisions based off the discussions and what you've seen.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yup, I'm with Zombie, come back in a year. Any advice you get today about specific models will be obsolete long before then. My advice, if you're really interested, is to spend time reading the forum, learing about the topics, brightness, contrast, gamut, HDR, lens quality, constant height. Read up on the pros and cons of screens. And get out there and whenever you have the opportunity to see different systems, take it. Then when you come back in a year you'll be informed on the issues and you'll be able to make good decisions based off the discussions and what you've seen.
While, I do understand this point. Its very valid particularly with the whole Warrantly issue. I am concerned about purchasing a 4K projector when I do not have or will own any 4K content in the immediate future. I am also weary about the advance meant in hdmi technology. Currently everything i have is hdmi 1.4, again I do do want to have issues with things not working together, if a projector in 2016 is HDMI 2.0. Now if you guys tell me that a 2016 projector will work perfectly Ok with my "older" equipment, then I have no problem with waiting.

The other thing I am concerned about is that newer technology doesn't always mean better. Example is my Kuro, its been about 6 years since I purchased my PRO 111FD. That TV today is arguably still better than perhaps 2 or 3 TVs that are out in the market today. So while I realize the TV market and technology is different than the projector market and technology, i still can simply shake chance that I could perhaps purchase a better machine today than if I waited a year or two. In other words I would hate to risk the chance that JVC all of a sudden gets out of the projector market.

·
Registered
30,259 Posts
While, I do understand this point. Its very valid particularly with the whole Warrantly issue. I am concerned about purchasing a 4K projector when I do not have or will own any 4K content in the immediate future. I am also weary about the advance meant in hdmi technology. Currently everything i have is hdmi 1.4, again I do do want to have issues with things not working together, if a projector in 2016 is HDMI 2.0. Now if you guys tell me that a 2016 projector will work perfectly Ok with my "older" equipment, then I have no problem with waiting.

The other thing I am concerned about is that newer technology doesn't always mean better. Example is my Kuro, its been about 6 years since I purchased my PRO 111FD. That TV today is arguably still better than perhaps 2 or 3 TVs that are out in the market today. So while I realize the TV market and technology is different than the projector market and technology, i still can simply shake chance that I could perhaps purchase a better machine today than if I waited a year or two. In other words I would hate to risk the chance that JVC all of a sudden gets out of the projector market.
2016 projectors will have no problem playing standard DVD's or standard BD's.

·
Registered
631 Posts

Thanks Seegs. This is great information. I will reach out to Mike. Sorry to hijack!

·
Registered
23,130 Posts
To expand on Mike's response, HDMI 2.0 is backward compatible with HDMI 1.x. The only time you can run into a problems is if your source device is/requires newer HDMI capabilities than your display supports. The best example is Ultra HD Blu-ray will require HDCP 2.2, if you get a display today that doesn't support HDCP 2.2, you will not be able to view UHD Blu-ray.

As for the reverse, it's inconceivable that a 2016, HDMI 2.0, HDCP 2.2 projector would not function with HDMI 1.4 or less sources, there are far too many of those. No one would buy a high end video display that won't work with their game consoles, media streamers, DVRs, Cable Boxes, or Blu-ray/DVD players.

You'll always be able to buy a new old stock or used 2014 JVC model this time next year if nothing new strikes your fancy. Older models are always available for a while. IMO it's a much bigger risk buying this early, we're less than a year out from a lot of things changing. Ultra HD Blu-ray, which comes out this fall/holiday season brings with it a number of significant changes/improvements. Arguably it's a bigger jump than DVD to Blu-ray.

I understand you say you're not interested in 4K, but that's today, that's the next few years. If you're really willing to buy a projector a year or more before you need it, I can only assume you plan on keeping it a long, long time. If that's the case I don't see how you can ignore UHD. You really don't want to buy a projector that's incompatible with UHD that you plan to keep for a long time do you? Do you really want to be unable to use UHD Blu-ray until you replace your projector?

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
To expand on Mike's response, HDMI 2.0 is backward compatible with HDMI 1.x. The only time you can run into a problems is if your source device is/requires newer HDMI capabilities than your display supports. The best example is Ultra HD Blu-ray will require HDCP 2.2, if you get a display today that doesn't support HDCP 2.2, you will not be able to view UHD Blu-ray.

As for the reverse, it's inconceivable that a 2016, HDMI 2.0, HDCP 2.2 projector would not function with HDMI 1.4 or less sources, there are far too many of those. No one would buy a high end video display that won't work with their game consoles, media streamers, DVRs, Cable Boxes, or Blu-ray/DVD players.
Is the Pioneer BDP-88FD an example of this player?

You'll always be able to buy a new old stock or used 2014 JVC model this time next year if nothing new strikes your fancy. Older models are always available for a while. IMO it's a much bigger risk buying this early, we're less than a year out from a lot of things changing. Ultra HD Blu-ray, which comes out this fall/holiday season brings with it a number of significant changes/improvements. Arguably it's a bigger jump than DVD to Blu-ray.

I understand you say you're not interested in 4K, but that's today, that's the next few years. If you're really willing to buy a projector a year or more before you need it, I can only assume you plan on keeping it a long, long time. If that's the case I don't see how you can ignore UHD. You really don't want to buy a projector that's incompatible with UHD that you plan to keep for a long time do you? Do you really want to be unable to use UHD Blu-ray until you replace your projector?
Well here the thing, this is the first time i have every heard UHD Bluray. I heard ofcourse of 4K but not UltraHD Bluray. Is this for all intents and purposes, 4K on a disc? And what kind of TV will this need, a 4k TV/Projector will you need to take advantage of this technology?

Is the Pioneer BDP-88FD an example of such a player?

·
Registered
19,089 Posts
Well here the thing, this is the first time i have every heard UHD Bluray. I heard ofcourse of 4K but not UltraHD Bluray. Is this for all intents and purposes, 4K on a disc? And what kind of TV will this need, a 4k TV/Projector will you need to take advantage of this technology?

Yes, to take full advantage you will need a 4K projector or TV. Again though, if you aren't going to use the projector until next year, just wait. Never a good idea to buy and let it sit in a box. The current 1080p projectors will still be available, and maybe less expensive too.

·
Registered
19,089 Posts

Whether to go AT screen or not is one of those choices and compromises one has to decide on. I prefer my non AT set up for a number of reasons. A lot depends on your room design.
It can work well either way.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts