AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey. I'm kind of new to decent audio equipment, so I though I'd ask the experts here for some beginner's advice.

I'm hoping to start a home theater set up in my living room. Nothing too intense.

What will be set up in there:

Sony 1080p tv set

Playstation 3 over HDMI

Xbox 360 running 1080p over component (not by choice, only option as its older)

Cable/DVR box over HDMI

I've been looking around, and I think I've narrowed it down to a few Onkyo options.

The 705, 706, or 805. I've also been looking at the HT-S7100 which comes with a speaker set.

This is an upgrade from a 10 year old cheaper set, so I'm not looking for the best system, just the best for a good price. It will be mostly used for just movies and games. I'd appreciate any help anyone could give. Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
436 Posts
If you are not wanting the AVR for good music, then I would not spend the money for the 805. Go for a cheaper model that has the feature set you want. The primary advantage to the 805 is the excellent amp section for music playback.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Seems like I mistyped. I meant the 705, 706, or 806. I think the biggest issue for me is that the 360 will be sending a 1080p signal over component and I'm not sure which receiver if any will be able to handle that. Has anybody else in a similar situation used any of these?

·
Registered
606 Posts
My 360 doesn't have HDMI and I didn't like the way it looked when running through my receiver (A Pioneer Elite). Plus, with gaming, it is important to minimize any input lag from processing. So I plug mine directly into the TV and just use optical out to the receiver.

Oh, I also got the VGA adapter, which you can also use. For my TV the difference between VGA and component is huge.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.