AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading the boards here for over a year, I'm ready to buy a plasma http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/image...es/biggrin.gif - I like the look of the Panasonic, but would like some input from the collective wisdom of the board regarding which model would be best for my situation.

I'm trying to place the plasma TV on a shelf that is 24 3/4" tall, 49" wide, and 19" deep. I can easily accomodate the 37" plasma on its stand on this shelf and have plenty of room for air circulation around it. However, I would really like to have a possible future upgrade path with the 42" DVI slot, which is not available on the 37" Panny. I was thinking of putting in a vertical support on the shelf near the front spanning the height of the shelf, and using a wall mount to attach the 42" Panny (24.5" high), so that the front of the plasma would be flush with the front of the shelf. I sit about 8 feet away, so the difference in screen size isn't as much of an issue.

Questions:

1) Would there be heat problems placing the 42" Panny this way? Or, in other words, do I have enough space in back and the sides to dissipate the heat generated?

2) Is additional space needed around the 42" Panny to get all of the connecting wires connected (clearance space)?

3) How important is DVI on this resolution Panny? My plans for HDTV include OTA viewing (looking to buy the Samsung SIR-T150). I have Directv, but am not planning on getting premium channels to watch HDTV (and I doubt HDTV channels will be broadcast by Directv as part of the standard package in the conceivable future).

Thanks, in advance, for your input!

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I have a similar heat issue for the 42. My current plan is to go with the 42 and if need be add fans on the back or the cabinet to promote circulation. In this case its a corner so its easy to vent out the back. I have even less clearance. There is a quoted side clearance for heat issues and your 49 inches as I recall is within spec.

I am also interested in the DVI question. Is the 42 really future proof? It is even an issue?

If HBOH is down converted to 420p (for analog component outputs) then this should not (in theory) degrade the PQ of the 42. I think I will start a thread specifically by that title.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
I feel it is critical to provide ventilations holes or slots in the shelf above your plasma ( and probably under it too.)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.