AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am hoping you can give me some help. I will be purchasing a Samsung DLP in the very near future. I will also be upgrading my D* Reciever for HD.

Which reciever should I choose. It must have DVI output for the Samsung. I belive the 3 choices are the Sony, Samsung, and Zenith. Which is the best?

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Sony, LG, and Hughes are almost identical boxes. The Samsung would be the only different one.

If I were getting one today I would get the $399 deal on the Hughes ($99 if you have been a subscriber for over 2 years). The Hughes is the same as the Sony/LG.

If I were buying in a month or 2 I'd probably get the HD DirecTivo.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Chris,

Could you expand on the Hughes offer? Where can I find it how do I get it.? I have been with Direct TV for over two years.

Thank you,

Greg.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by gregwelch
Chris,

Could you expand on the Hughes offer? Where can I find it how do I get it.? I have been with Direct TV for over two years.

Thank you,

Greg.
Go here and look throu the posts. There is an 800 number on one of the pages that gets you directly to the retention department. Tell them you would like the $99 HD deal. If they balk tell them that you will go to Dish etc. You get the drift.

Since you have been a customer for over 2 yrs. you shouldn't have a problem.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Just a note: The $99 DirecTv deal does not guarantee you will get a Hughes box. They are also giving out Samsung T-160's the choice is generally not yours, it just depends on what the installer has. Mine was installed today. I wanted to try the Hughes box, but all the installer had was Samsung.

EJ

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have both of these receivers..the new Hughes HTL ( Circuitcity) and the Samsung TS160 ( D*$ 99.00 upgrade) The samsung in my opinion is the better of the 2 receivers...The Samsung has some advantages over the hughes...caller ID..signal meter...better channel guides...no audio sound drops...faster channel changing.. DVI cable comes with the box....Plus the HD picture is the same on both receivers...EXCELENT....SD picture is good on both...very slight edge to the Hughes...so until they update the hughes with new software..I have to say..the bird in the hand is the Samsung

·
Registered
606 Posts
How different is the menu system between the different boxes ? I've had 3 Sony boxes since I signed up with D* (a long time ago, my current is an HD200) and I have always preferred the Sony interface over the other choices.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sstterry
Can anyone post the 1-800 number for D*customer retention?
Just call 1800directv and immediately ask for customer retention. They'll transfer you.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mintakaX
How different is the menu system between the different boxes ? I've had 3 Sony boxes since I signed up with D* (a long time ago, my current is an HD200) and I have always preferred the Sony interface over the other choices.
You sound like a HD200 expert. Can you tell me how to get the guide to display only the channels I want? I did the channel scan and it scanned in all my digital OTA station as well as the half assed VHF stations I'm receiving. I can't figure out how to trim the guide down to only the stations I watch and get rid of all the VHF stations that I don't watch.

TIA

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.