AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm working on my HT setup. I currently have Polk Audio R50 towers with a matching CSR center channel. I have a set of R150's for surrounds but I'm having a hard time finding a place to put the R150's.

I am thinking about going with in ceiling speakers for the surrounds. I know this isn't ideal sound wise but I really just can't find a good place for the R150's. My room is far from ideal so I'm just trying to make the best from the situation.

My question is what would be some good options for in ceiling speakers that would work well with the other Polk Audio speakers that I really like so far?

Thanks

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
surrounds are for audio "effect" and timbre matching is not really that big a deal. Any good 5" or 6" in-ceiling units with a tweeter you can "aim" towards the listening position will work. If you are on a budget, look at the Dayton brand in-ceiling speakers from Parts Express. I've used their in-ceiling and in-wall units for budget systems for in-laws and they perform very well.
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=300-470

·
Registered
724 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_vanmeter /forum/post/14199640

surrounds are for audio "effect" and timbre matching is not really that big a deal. Any good 5" or 6" in-ceiling units with a tweeter you can "aim" towards the listening position will work. If you are on a budget, look at the Dayton brand in-ceiling speakers from Parts Express. I've used their in-ceiling and in-wall units for budget systems for in-laws and they perform very well.
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=300-470

True dat... that's the conclusion I came to when I was stressing over the rears. Sound mixing engineers doing the mixes for films still never really make that much use of the rears including on big-budget stuff. It's typically just bullets whizzing from front to rear, or crickets in the rears, or ambient noise in the rears.. stuff that your ears aren't really listening to as closely as something like dialog or music in the left/right.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts