AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I've been obsessively reading posts about sub selection and placement but I have an odd room with an elevated bar area in the back.  I've got about $1500 budgeted for duals or single.  Would love to stay at $1200 or lower because I want/need a new AVR.

The attached drawing (not scaled) is roughly what I'm working with.  The back wall of the viewing area has a 5' raised wall going up stairs that are 2' into the bar area.  Room has closets all the way down each side so the walls are not exterior facing.  Also, the ceilings are 12' high through out.  So, the bar area ceilings are 10' from the floor but the viewing area is the full 12'.  (make sense?)

Without doing the sub crawl or REW measuring, maybe I can do this later, was thinking about A,B,C or for duals a combo of each.

I am about to get my gear ordered which is below.

In-Wall NXT LCR and Surrounds (dual 5.25's) (speaker craft knock off) (will replace at a later date)

Onkyo NR606 (might replace with a sub $500 AVR if needed but plan on getting X-4000 or something similar)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

I forgot to ask that if I use position a and/or b would I have to go with sealed or front ported subs?  Also, was thinking along the lines of PB2000, XV-15, VTF-15, PB1000, etc...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Thanks basshead... what about placement near the wall for a&b?  How far from the wall should you place a rear ported sub from the wall.  WAF will not allow for a sub to be extended forward of the wall too much. 

Also, measurements aside, do you gain anything from having a sub placed at C?  other than a nice end table. ;-)

·
Registered
14,582 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xray777  /t/1524827/help-selecting-sub-s-and-basic-room-placement-pic-inclosed#post_24544211

Thanks basshead... what about placement near the wall for a&b?  How far from the wall should you place a rear ported sub from the wall.  WAF will not allow for a sub to be extended forward of the wall too much. 

Also, measurements aside, do you gain anything from having a sub placed at C?  other than a nice end table. ;-)

3-4" is all you need for clearance. Location C will offer much more tactile sensation at the seats. I would probably start at location A & C for placement.

·
Registered
5,848 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xray777  /t/1524827/help-selecting-sub-s-and-basic-room-placement-pic-inclosed#post_24572164

Thanks everyone... I went ahead with PB2000's.  They'll be here Monday and should get setup next week.  Looking forward to it! 

Congratulations on your choice. Let us all know how you like it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts