AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I've been reading here and there online regarding the choices I have for a projector (my first one by the way).

Reading reviews everywhere lean me toward the Panasonic AE4000. But I've read a few times on this forum that this projector would be the best choice especially if I'm planning to use it Lens memory features or using a CIH setup.

In other words, this projector is the best if you need those features but if you don't need those, there is better choices to get a better image quality, contrast, black levels, ect.

Since what I'm planning to have in my dedicated room is only a 92'' screen in 16:9 format I'm now considering other options.

The room is about 11.5' wide by 16' long with 7.5' ceiling.

The light will be controlled (color of the walls, floor, ceiling still need to be determined since the room isn't built yet)

Epson seems to be the second choice here with the 8500UB or the 8100UB.

I don't know much about DLP projectors, so any advice on these would be apreciated.

As you can read, the price range is in the sub 2500$ but at this point I'm a little bit lost regarding the choices I have, so feel free to point me in any direction you want!

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just bought the Epson 8100 and am impressed. Until my theater is finished I am just shining it on a white wall. When I put the first DVD in (480i), my girlfriend ask why I needed a screen? That was SD and about 125in.

The advantage of LCD is placement flexability. I am a DLP fan but needed the vertical lens shift LCD offers since I am ceiling mounting and the offset of the DLP's will put my screen close to the floor.

·
Registered
365 Posts
sorry for jumping in. I sent my ae900u (720p) in for warranty repair and went to BB to pick up an 8100 in the mean time. I am about to upgrade to a newer PJ and was trying to decide between the ax200u and the 8100 for my 103" screen. I have fios and the 8100 is worse at displaying sd tv material, I can now see jaggies on words that I have never seen in the past 4 years owning my 900u. In the beginning of "Lost" last night I saw more blurry motion in the replay of last weeks show than I remember seeing with my 900u last week when watching the show. It definitely has better blacks than my 900u, but it does not have better shadow detail, imho. I am constantly trying to get the shadow detail to come out, with the 8100, in games that I've been playing for over 6 months straight. I also feel that the lcd panels are slower in the epson because I am not getting as many kills playing modern warfare 2 and I am shooting people dead in the head (confirmed multiple times by friends over this last weekend). I am ordering an ax200u today (not pushing this pj) and will have all 3 models at once to try out. If I have enough helping hands, I'll make sure to post up pictures.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Well I haven't received my old pj back from repair yet and won't get it back for up to a couple weeks from what mack is saying due to ordering a part, but I did receive the new 200U in the mail the other day!

I did my best to properly adjust both pj's using the BD S&M calibration disc via my PS3. I have both pj's on a shelf approximately 5 1/2 ft. high projecting onto a 103" Dalite High Power screen. PJ's are plugged into an APC H-15 power conditioner.

One thing that really bothered me was that I could not get all the white blocks to become distinct from the background with the 200U and had to take the contrast way down on the epson while calibrating them.

The differences I see on SDTV are that the 200U shows less stairstepping/jaggies, the colors look a bit deeper or richer, and less halos or ghosting around edges. The 200U basically smoothed out the picture of a crappy channel whereas the epson took and magnified the good and bad with no discretion.

The epson's display goes black and makes a slight noise (from the iris?) when changing video modes. I didn't like that because I couldn't do a comparison of the shadow detail as easily as either of the panny's.

If you will be using your pj to play games, the panny is definitely a faster pj (explained at the bottom if you care to read it).

HDTV looks great on both. I really don't have much to say about this because they both did an excellent job.

The epson and 200U are both much brighter than the older 900U. My theater room has a ceiling fan with directional light pointing down. I would normally see some reflection on the screen with the 900U. The reflection I have gotten used to seeing on the screen when the light is on has since disappeared with both new pjs.

I have to say that I am used to the Panasonic film-like image from the 900U and every time I had the epson running for the past 2 weeks, I felt like the image was more in-my-face. A photographer friend of mine told me that was a more video looking image.

Take it with a grain of salt

I'm happier with the cheaper of the two

explaination from above:

I play Modern Warfare 2 on my PS3 for a little less than 2 hours, the amount of time I normally play. Normally I get about 15-20 headshots in that period of time (headshots are harder to get) on the old 900U, I've been averaging about 15 headshots with the epson but noticed my regular kills dropped significantly when tracking someone close range through my sniper scope. Playing on the newer 200U I got 32 headshots and was able to track opponents multiple times, in close proximity, and come out the victor.

Best example happened to me last night with the epson. I lined up my shot right between the shoulders of an opponent running away from me, in a slight zig-zag, towards one of my teammates. I took two shots with the most precise sniper rifle in the game, dead center upper portion of my opponents back, missed both times and he ended up killing my teammate for the game winning kill. At the end of every round, everyone gets to see the game winning kill and I got to see one of my bullets go right, and miss completely, and my next bullet go left, and miss completely.

Bottom line is that the video is not delayed as much with the 200U compared to the epson. It is noticeable.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts