AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Friends,

I am a novice when it comes to understanding all the new technology that is being put in to the newer receivers. It use to be much easier. I need some help in selecting a new receiver. I have researched a few, but figured I would ask the opinions of the pros.

Currently, I have an Onkyo TXDS787 which is now quite old. I have had a few issues over the past years with it, but overall it was a great receiver. O have decided that it was time to purchase a new one to go along with my Blue Ray and newer TV.

The primary things I am seeking are audio quality (Of course), and the ability to pipe all my video through my receiver and have it be delivered to my tv via HDMI. (This may be standard, but again all the lingo confuses me). I am sure whatever I pick, it will be more than enough, but I enjoy having better than normal home theatre audio quality as I watch a lot of movies.

My budget is $0 - $1100 dollars. The few receivers I have had my eye on were the Pioneer Elite SC-07, and VSX-03TXH. I have been looking at these two as they are now on sale to make way for Pioneers new line. Both look great and I was wondering if the SC-07 was worth the extra $$$ it is currently at for Ethernet, etc.

I am open to Onkyo, although it has been so long, I am not sure what compares to those models anymore.

Any assistance, or help would be greatly appreciated. You guys know more than I.

Thanks.

· Registered
894 Posts
The SC-05 and SC-07 have a more advanced room calibration system than the VSX-03. They also have Class D ICEpower amps. I think it's definitely worth the step up.

For Onkyo I'd consider this (or new here ), which has their most advanced room correction (Audyssey MultEq XT) and a monstrously full amp section. Or you could use your current Onkyo as a power amp and get this .

There are definitely less expensive options, too.

· Registered
50 Posts
I have had the VSX 03 TXH for about 3 months, I think it's great. I am in no way an audiophile, but I do play CDs though it and they sound great (to me). It's used mostly for HD TV and movies. The lossless audio from a BD is just like being at the movies. I toyed with the idea of the 05 but I got such a good price on the 03 from Videogon that I went for it. I have not had 1 minute of buyers remorse.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.