AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning a custom project and have a few questions that Search and Google can't seem to completely answer for me.

Background: I used to dabble with car audio until 2002 when I noticed I had some hearing loss and tinnitus. Needless to say I haven't dabbled much since then. So my knowledge lost probably exceeds my knowledge retained at this point.

1. If I wire two 4Ω speakers in parallel, then wire those + and - leads with another 4Ω speaker in series, I have a 6Ω load, correct?

2. If the above is accurate, then the 3rd speaker (or the last one wired in series) would receive twice as much amplified power, due to the wiring configuration effectively turning the first two speakers (4Ω/2) into a single 4Ω DVC speaker wired in parallel to 2Ω, thus the 4Ω speaker wired in series receives twice the current, or rather 2/3 of the total power of that channel?

3. I am fairly certain I once had four 4Ω speakers wired in a 4Ω load. Two wired in parallel, the other two wired in parallel separately, then both sets of two wired in series. Is my memory off or does that sound correct?

4. If yes, then I could also wire two 8Ω speakers in parallel, two more 8Ω speakers in parallel, then wire the two + leads and two - leads in series for an 8Ω load, correct?

5. Is this formula for question #4 correct?
two sets of two wired in parallel then wired in series: (8Ω/2) + (8Ω/2) = 8Ω

6. If I want four 8Ω speakers in a 2Ω load, I simply wire all 4 in parallel. + to all four, - to all four, correct?

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
I'm planning a custom project and have a few questions that Search and Google can't seem to completely answer for me.

Background: I used to dabble with car audio until 2002 when I noticed I had some hearing loss and tinnitus. Needless to say I haven't dabbled much since then. So my knowledge lost probably exceeds my knowledge retained at this point.

1. If I wire two 4Ω speakers in parallel, then wire those + and - leads with another 4Ω speaker in series, I have a 6Ω load, correct?

2. If the above is accurate, then the 3rd speaker (or the last one wired in series) would receive twice as much amplified power, due to the wiring configuration effectively turning the first two speakers (4Ω/2) into a single 4Ω DVC speaker wired in parallel to 2Ω, thus the 4Ω speaker wired in series receives twice the current, or rather 2/3 of the total power of that channel?

3. I am fairly certain I once had four 4Ω speakers wired in a 4Ω load. Two wired in parallel, the other two wired in parallel separately, then both sets of two wired in series. Is my memory off or does that sound correct?

4. If yes, then I could also wire two 8Ω speakers in parallel, two more 8Ω speakers in parallel, then wire the two + leads and two - leads in series for an 8Ω load, correct?

5. Is this formula for question #4 correct?
two sets of two wired in parallel then wired in series: (8Ω/2) + (8Ω/2) = 8Ω

6. If I want four 8Ω speakers in a 2Ω load, I simply wire all 4 in parallel. + to all four, - to all four, correct?
Try this:
http://touch.speakerimpedance.co.uk/#home

1 - 3 of 3 Posts