AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my onkyo 607 arrived, i've turned it on and connected it to the tv, need some help choosing the impedence, whether they are normal speaker type or bi-amp, what hz the centre surround, front high surr back and other such options should be etc. getting confused at the differences between surr back and surround, db levels etc. Would greatly appreciate some help

here's the manual, Page 39 is where you the speaker setup starts: http://www.eu.onkyo.com/dl/1334040/M...07_English.pdf

Hi, i currently have the Scan AV6 amp+speakers

Below is a photo of how the speakers connect:

My amp has become faulty, the dialog of people's voices has become very quiet so in some tv shows/movies its extremely hard if not impossible to hear. What i'm wanting to do is use the speakers on the Onkyo 607 Amplifier that i bought 2nd hand. I will upgrade to better speakers in 1yr ish, but for now i'd like to have the onkyo + my current speakers.

My subwoofer is passive so that won't work so i'll just be using the satellites with no subwoofer until i can afford to buy a 2nd hand set of Canton CX 80 or similar speakers.

Onkyo 607 Connections:

Onkyo 607 Audio specs:

Scan AV6 Amp/speaker specs:

·
Registered
30,788 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hajj_3 /forum/post/19615697

my onkyo 607 arrived, i've turned it on and connected it to the tv, need some help choosing the impedence,

They are all 8ohms.
Quote:
whether they are normal speaker type or bi-amp,

Normal.
Quote:
what hz the centre surround, front high surr back and other such options should be etc.

They really should be set SMALL/80Hz but, because you do not have a sub, they will, by default, set LARGE. That is unfortunate as these are pretty puny speakers and you should be careful with levels as you run the risk of blowing them out.
Quote:
getting confused at the differences between surr back and surround, db levels etc. Would greatly appreciate some help

Don't worry about levels or distances. Once you connect the speakers, run Audyssey setup and it will set everything for you.

BTW, that receiver deserves better speakers as well as a sub.

·
Registered
30,154 Posts
buy a subwoofer, as quickly as possible. Even if it means grabbing an old used sub for 50 bucks off craigslist. Otherwise, as Kal notes, you risk blowing all the speakers by playing them too loud. They simply cannot handle bass.

Quote:
They really should be set SMALL/80Hz

80Hz, really? For those "puny speakers" with 3" drivers? I'm putting the over/under on Audyssey-measured crossover at 150Hz

·
Registered
30,788 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig /forum/post/19616261

buy a subwoofer, as quickly as possible. Even if it means grabbing an old used sub for 50 bucks off craigslist. Otherwise, as Kal notes, you risk blowing all the speakers by playing them too loud. They simply cannot handle bass.

80Hz, really? For those "puny speakers" with 3" drivers? I'm putting the over/under on Audyssey-measured crossover at 150Hz

I was trying to be gentle and the speaker specs do say 80Hz. Besides, the sooner he blows them up, the sooner he will get real speakers.

·
Registered
30,154 Posts
yes -- don't run Audyssey yet. Set all speakers to SMALL with a 100-120Hz crossover and set sub to YES, even though you don't have one. This will cut off the bass and redirect it to a "nonexistent" subwoofer.

·
Registered
30,788 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig /forum/post/19616683

yes -- don't run Audyssey yet. Set all speakers to SMALL with a 100-120Hz crossover and set sub to YES, even though you don't have one. This will cut off the bass and redirect it to a "nonexistent" subwoofer.

EDIT: That won't work. You cannot force the configuration. First, Audyssey will ignore size/crossover settings when it runs and, second, when it fails to find a sub, it will set the fronts (at least) to LARGE.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig /forum/post/19616683

W/ those speakers, why run Audyssey at all? Just manually specify all HP crossovers as 120 Hz, set channel trims by ear (or by SPL meter), and leave it at that.

AJ

·
Registered
30,788 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiWavelength /forum/post/19617074

W/ those speakers, why run Audyssey at all? Just manually specify all HP crossovers as 120 Hz, set channel trims by ear (or by SPL meter), and leave it at that.

AJ

Because, with those speakers, anything, especially EQ, will help.

·
Registered
30,154 Posts

Quote:
First, Audyssey will ignore size/crossover settings when it runs and, second, when it fails to find a sub, it will set the fronts (at least) to LARGE.

right, that's why I said to NOT run Audyssey!

Quote:

that is EXACTLY what I was saying.

·
Registered
30,788 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiWavelength /forum/post/19617074

AJ

Because it will suck. No bass and unpredictable FR.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson /forum/post/19619783

Well, the lack of bass, for sure, but Audyssey will certainly smooth the FR.

Does Audyssey cease correction at a certain response deviation (e.g. -6 dB) in the upper octaves as it does in the lower octaves? I question the 3 inch "full range" driver's ability to play to 20 kHz. Even if it does, dispersion will be very limited above 5 kHz.

AJ

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.