AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased my system. The room is 13.5 x 13.5. There are no windows.

I purchased a 65" panasonic st30. The system consist of a Denon 1912 receiver. The speakers are klipsch, kf-28 floor speakers, kc-25 center, side and rears are ks-14. The sub is a sw-450.

My questions are:

How far apart do the fronts need to be?

Where to place sub?

Side surrounds are supposed to be in line with ear? Or up higher angled at the ear?

Rear surrounds, how far apart? how high?

Thanks in advance!!!

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
here is a good starting place http://www.dolby.com/consumer/setup/...ide/index.html

more or less, the fronts should be as far apart as the distance from either speaker to the listener....equilateral triangle

side surrounds slightly behind the listener's shoulder, a foot or so above seated ear level and aimed at the listening position - rears about the same height and spaced per the Dolby Labs layout (more or less, no absolutes here - experimentation is key)

for optimum positioning of the subwoofer, do the "subwoofer crawl" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AV3oLLMgS-M

·
Registered
588 Posts
Given the size of your room, I'm assuming that your seating is against the back wall. If so, you may not want to use the rear speakers since they will be too close to your ears and be more of a distraction

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout's staff /forum/post/20809849

Given the size of your room, I'm assuming that your seating is against the back wall. If so, you may not want to use the rear speakers since they will be too close to your ears and be more of a distraction

If you go by the finger spread/pinky rule, I dont believe that I will be against the wall. You think so?

I am still painting the room at the moment, so will not know for about a week.

I am figuring at being about 3-4 feet off the back wall, which would give space for the rear surrounds.

What is the recommended distance for listening position to rear surrounds? More than 3 feet?

Thanks for all the replies.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
I believe 3 feet is the minimum distance recommended from rear surrounds to listening position. My rears are 6 feet behind me and the experience is great, very enveloping and nice wide rear sound feild.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.