AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My parents have had a pioneer elite HD tv in their bedroom for almost a year now, and have yet to watch hdtv on it. So tonight I went out and swapped their cable box for a dvr+hd box. I set the box up and HD looks incredible, of course using the box thru input 1 (component) the box sends SD cable with black bars, which would be fine, but I'm worried about screen burn, leaving me at the moment to teach them to swap inputs, regular tv cable line input/component input #1.

As I have it now, i told dad to watch most programming thru co-ax so that he can adapt the zoom, and then switch to component input #1 when he wants to watch hd. He finds this very annoying, is there a solution?

His component #1 seems to be locked in full mode, leaving him an unability to account for the black bars that on the left and right. Are black bars a big deal? Can they really ruin the screen? How come the black bars on the screen during dvd playback aren't harmful? Is it just grey bars that can hurt the screen? Does the 8300 offer the setting to stretch everything that isn't widescreen to widescreen?

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
Just turn down contrast to around 50% and watch a variety of programming so it isn't black bars in the same spot all the time and you should be fine.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Yes you can have the SD stretched and have HD still display properly.

All you have to do is get to the 8300's setup menu. (I forget how at the moment).

It is the screen that lets you set the output resolutions for your box.

If you only select 480P and either 720P or 1080i depending on your tv you will get full screen SD and HD all the time.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.