AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the new house we are moving into, we have a two story family room. The pics are from a similar house being built. The difference between these pics and our house is that there will be an extra opening where I marked it with red between the family room and an adjacent room. This mean there is practically no right wall in the room. Also, in our house the fireplace isn't stone and will be at ground level with no raised platform in front of it.

I am having the room pre-wired for 5.1. The speaker locations are as indicated, and I realize aren't ideal. I have a Pioneer SC-1522 that I can use.

I could use some advice on whether I should forgo speakers/sub and get a sound bar to use with or without a receiver. I don't want/need an ATMOS sound bar, just basic 5.1. The sound bar would be sitting on the mantle above the fireplace. The TV would be mounted above the fireplace. The receiver, if needed, would be in the far left corner of the room underneath the left front speaker.

I don't need ear shattering sound. This room is primarily for watching TV shows, news, and the occasional sports game. We basically need something better/clearer than crappy TV speakers. We have a dedicated home theater in the basement for movies and gaming (that people on this forum have helped me plan for :D)

I realize the two story family room could cause issues while recommending speakers within my budget.

My budget for the speakers is $1000. I could probably push it to $1200. All 5 speakers need to be in-wall (no exceptions), except for sub. If it is recommended I get a sound bar instead, and tell me I don't need to spend $1000 for it, I am more than happy to spend less. Would the missing right wall cause issues for the sound bar since there is nothing to bounce sound off of ? I think my wife would be happier with a sound bar, but not sure yet.

Thanks in advance.
Wally

Attachments

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
No offense intended, but putting front speakers up that high is so far from optimal it’s off the chart. Since you already have a movie system, I’d just go with a regular soundbar. The 5.1 bars are pretty much a joke anyway, and they for sure won’t work in a room with ceilings as high as yours.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No offense intended, but putting front speakers up that high is so far from optimal it’s off the chart. Since you already have a movie system, I’d just go with a regular soundbar. The 5.1 bars are pretty much a joke anyway, and they for sure won’t work in a room with ceilings as high as yours.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
Understood, Wayne. No offense taken :)

What sound bar would you recommend for my budget ?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If I had a chance to work with the builder to lower the front and rear L/R speakers, where can I put them to be better ?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You’re a good sport, Wally.

I don’t have any experience with sound bars. Probably best to open a new thread in the Soundbars forum asking for a recommendation on your budget.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
No worries. Thanks for your feedback. Not sure if you saw my follow on question though. Given the chance the builder is willing to move the speaker wires, where could I have them relocated ?

·
Registered
6,933 Posts
First off, beautiful home! However that space will make for a challenging audio solution. I agree that a sound bar may be your best bet, as there really aren't good spots for your front speakers. I would just get something to enhance the TV sound, and then perhaps you can set up a more dedicated space for audio elsewhere. I'd wager a house like this probably has space for that haha.

Maybe check out the Sonos Arc soundbar.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Are you using in-wall speakers?

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
Yeah, to keep the wife happy and the area clean too, to be honest :)

First off, beautiful home! However that space will make for a challenging audio solution. I agree that a sound bar may be your best bet, as there really aren't good spots for your front speakers. I would just get something to enhance the TV sound, and then perhaps you can set up a more dedicated space for audio elsewhere. I'd wager a house like this probably has space for that haha.

Maybe check out the Sonos Arc soundbar.
Thanks Transmaniacon. Yeah we do have a dedicated home theater space in the basement. Like I said in the thread starter, we just want something better than crappy TV speakers. I'll look into the Sonos Arc.

·
Registered
6,933 Posts

Thanks Transmaniacon. Yeah we do have a dedicated home theater space in the basement. Like I said in the thread starter, we just want something better than crappy TV speakers. I'll look into the Sonos Arc.
Ah I missed that part of your post, too distracted by the coffered ceiling ha.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Kinda figured that was the case. Might check with the builder, but I’ll bet there won’t be any open cavity between the windows and the walls.

If that does fly, however, the rear speaker locations are bad, what with those weird angles. It would make more sense to put them in the side walls, a few feet behind where you envision the sofa to be. I’ve had a similar set up and it worked great. About 9’ up is a good height.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

·
Registered
11,308 Posts
A 3 channel passive soundbar would be a far superior solution to the system you intend to implement. There are a lot of good options in this area. Check out Golden Ear, PSB, Paradigm, Phase Tech, Totem, Triad, HTD, to name a few. Totem and Triad can customize the bar to your needs (length, color, ...).

The rear speakers are also too high, but I don't see any way to lower them, given the layout. One other option would be to install on-wall speakers at just slightly above seated ear height on the column on the left side and on the wall opposite. You'll need fairly thin speakers for this application, so check out KEF T101/T301, Golden Ear Supersat, Totem Kin Mini Flex, , HTD SB1, to name a few of the thinner models. You'd probably want to go with a white motif given the wall/trim color. The built-in angle on the Kin might be helpful in straightening out the coverage area of the speakers mounted on the angular walls.

Before you address the Mrs on using on-wall speakers, explain that they will not look any more out of place than screens on bare walls, which IMO, look like carp.

Speakers in the walls at this height are almost universally hated by their owners. Lots of complaints on this site, with most just abandoning them for ear height speakers.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A 3 channel passive soundbar would be a far superior solution to the system you intend to implement. There are a lot of good options in this area. Check out Golden Ear, PSB, Paradigm, Phase Tech, Totem, Triad, HTD, to name a few. Totem and Triad can customize the bar to your needs (length, color, ...).

The rear speakers are also too high, but I don't see any way to lower them, given the layout. One other option would be to install on-wall speakers at just slightly above seated ear height on the column on the left side and on the wall opposite. You'll need fairly thin speakers for this application, so check out KEF T101/T301, Golden Ear Supersat, Totem Kin Mini Flex, , HTD SB1, to name a few of the thinner models. You'd probably want to go with a white motif given the wall/trim color. The built-in angle on the Kin might be helpful in straightening out the coverage area of the speakers mounted on the angular walls.

Before you address the Mrs on using on-wall speakers, explain that they will not look any more out of place than screens on bare walls, which IMO, look like carp.

Speakers in the walls at this height are almost universally hated by their owners. Lots of complaints on this site, with most just abandoning them for ear height speakers.

View attachment 3046523
Thanks for your input RayGuy. I'll look into those speakers before bringing up the on-walls to my wife :)

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
Thanks for your input RayGuy. I'll look into those speakers before bringing up the on-walls to my wife :)
Get sound bar. The Sonos Arc has great reviews and it would be pretty easy to place a couple of the smaller Sonos speakers around for surround sound if desired.

Reactions: Wally_br

·
Registered
11,308 Posts
Looking at the pic again, I suspect that the wall with the red square will offer another column with which to work. Depending on how your furniture is laid out, that spot could function as a good position for side surrounds with the wall opposite. Using that pillar could allow you to even go 7.1, using the aforementioned surround positions as back surrounds (or not). In any case, that could be a better positioning for your 5.1 configuration.

BTW, most of these slim speakers do not plumb the depths of bass very well. If you go that direction, it would be a benefit if you used a sub with good output up to 150Hz. 200Hz extension would be even better. Many cheap subs do not function well past 100Hz, so be aware when selecting your sub.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Looking at the pic again, I suspect that the wall with the red square will offer another column with which to work. Depending on how your furniture is laid out, that spot could function as a good position for side surrounds with the wall opposite. Using that pillar could allow you to even go 7.1, using the aforementioned surround positions as back surrounds (or not). In any case, that could be a better positioning for your 5.1 configuration.

BTW, most of these slim speakers do not plumb the depths of bass very well. If you go that direction, it would be a benefit if you used a sub with good output up to 150Hz. 200Hz extension would be even better. Many cheap subs do not function well past 100Hz, so be aware when selecting your sub.
I haven't thought of that, RayGuy. You are right, the pillar next to the red square is a good place for surround speakers. I'll look into it with the builder. I'll look into the 200Hz sub too. Thanks again.

Reactions: RayGuy

·
Registered
23,659 Posts
(delete)

·
Registered
23,659 Posts
I don't need ear shattering sound. This room is primarily for watching TV shows, news, and the occasional sports game. We basically need something better/clearer than crappy TV speakers. We have a dedicated home theater in the basement for movies and gaming (that people on this forum have helped me plan for :D)
Holy cow, that is a humongous space. A good passive 3 channel soundbar and a monstrous subwoofer (or two) would do the trick. I wouldn't bother with the surround channels at all.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Holy cow, that is a humongous space. A good passive 3 channel soundbar and a monstrous subwoofer (or two) would do the trick. I wouldn't bother with the surround channels at all.
😅 Thanks. I'm thinking the same about ignoring getting rear speakers. I'll look into the 3 channel soundbar

·
Registered
23,659 Posts
😅 Thanks. I'm thinking the same about ignoring getting rear speakers. I'll look into the 3 channel soundbar
Some options:

* HTD Versa SB3 (free return shipping)

Crutchfield, $10 flat rate return shipping:
  • Klipsch G-42 or RP-440D
  • KEF HTF8003
  • PSB Imagine W3

1 - 20 of 20 Posts