AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
See 3rd post for shorter explanaion and updated question:

I purchased a Behringer Firepower FCA610 a while ago, but have never got it working quite right.

I send PC audio to a Receiver.
Need to be able to play along with music from PC
Need to obviously hear my guitar playing or singing through speakers.

Can I do all of this with no latency in the sound so that what I hear is exactly what I would hear if there were no PC between the guitar and the speakers?

I'm a little clueless on the set-up side of this, and especially when it comes to setting things up on the computer side. However, I am not clueless about computers -- just new to using an interface...

thanks!

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/FCA610.aspx

Also, I'm considering purchasing this soundcard... It seems like the reviews talk about it being great for stereo audio listening, with virtual options. But, can this power real 5.1 for movies and games? Gaming is kind of secondary or maybe equal to music, so I need a card that will do both well.
EDIT #2 : Already confirmed this card can do 5.1 digital out. I am going to purchase this right away, so keep in mind I will be using this in conjunction with the above Audio INterface.

ASUS Xonar Essence STX

Thanks

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
any advice on how to connect everything together? both physically and configuration-wise?

thanks in advance

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Essentially after doing some reading around, I still have a specific question if anyone would please help.

I need to use the speakers connected in my AVR simultaneously as a monitor for music my PC is playing AND as a monitor for my live guitar playing. Is that possible with no latency that is so audible that it is impossible to use?

I'd want guitar audio to go through this path:

FX Pedal > Interface > PC > Soundcard > AVR > Speakers

doable with the requirements I have above?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Of course. It's what the Berhinger is designed to do.

There is an example in the manual. Get out your copy and have a quick read. If you've lost your copy get one from the website.

Connect your guitar to input one. Remember to set the Inst (Hi-Z button.
Connect your PC to the interface.
Check Berhinger Main Out 1-2 is the default output device windows and/or your DAW.
Connect the Main Outs from the interface to a spare set of line ins on the Receiver. You may need a couple of adaptors for this.

That's it.

Start the backing track playing in your chosen software. If you turn the Mix Vol pot on the front of the interface hard left you will hear only your guitar. Hard right - only the backing track. Inbetween - a mix of both.

There are many other ways of doing the same thing. Just play around for a while. You cannot do any harm. You will soon pick it up.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
okay thanks. I think what was confusing me was whether I needed to use the soundcard for output, or if it could also go back through the interface. So, for listening to music I would just need to switch my default sound device again. No biggie.

Other than using the L/R outs on the behringer, would it also be possible to use the SPDIF? There is an IN and an OUT on the device, and an input in my AVR...

EDIT: I tried this:

Guitar>FX Pedal>Coax Spdif input on Behringer>PC through firewire>PC ouput set to SPDIF on Behringer.

Should I set the recording device on the PC to be the behringer and choose the setting for "listen to this device"? I ask this because I'm not getting any sound routing from guitar/fx to AVR by way of the behringer, just when it comes back through the PC. Hence, my complaint about latency...

I know sending audio from the behringer to the AVR works with the spdif because that is how it is receiving audio from the PC. But it only appears to playback guitar when it has first gone to PC.

Yes, I have tried the Mix Bal knob on the behringer.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I'm sorry. I don't think I understand your question well enough to give an authoritative answer.

With all due respect, you might be making this far more complicated than it needs to be.

I cannot find a proper manual for the FCA610. Neither the brochure nor the quick start guide explains how the mixing and routing works. Perhaps it doesn't have any? Which would be one reason why it appears to be so cheap at first sight?

However......

It looks likely that the direct monitoring function on the FCA610 only applies to the analogue ins. Not the S/PDIF in. Not directly anyway.

The simplest method to do what you want to do (if I understand correctly - which, as I said, I'm not sure I do) would be to not bother with the Berhinger or ASUS at all until you have had a chance to read the manual and play around with the controls until you feel more confident.

I'm assuming you are using free Audacity but the principle is the same with any DAW software.

Connect your guitar pedal to the S.PDIF in on your computer.
Make sure S/PDIF in 1-2 is the default recording device in Audacity.
Load up your backing track into Audacity.
In Audacity/edit/Preferences/recording make sure overdub and software playthrough are checked.
Make sure S/PDIF out 1-2 is the default playback device in Audacity.
Press record.

That's it really. You might have to adjust your levels to avoid clipping since you are now playing 2 tracks at the same time.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It looks likely that the direct monitoring function on the FCA610 only applies to the analogue ins. Not the S/PDIF in. Not directly anyway.
That seems to be part of the problem, for sure. I thinjk I was assuming that, because there is spdif in/out, that I could keep my guitar effects in the digital realm to the PC via usb and also have an interface that could handle my mic and other things in the future.

I do not have a SPDIF in on my pc, because I didn't think I needed one.

I think I'll have to pick up some analoge RCA adapters as you suggested and try the analogue outs as monitor channels from the behringer to AVR. My father gave me a Presonus firestudio as well, which I may try in place of the behringer -- though ,it is larger and I'll be upset if I bought something that wasn't necessary. Oh well.

What I need is really just as simple as playing back tracks I may have already recorded (I use SONAR, BTW) or music from a media player that I'm jammimng to, but also hear the instrument in real time in monitoring mode.

Can anyone reason why there are spdif in/out on the behringer if not to use for sending and receiving ****ing signals??? I was told in another thread that it would be noproblem - that it would route all of these signals exactly how I want, but now it appears not to be true :( Will keep pluggin away!

Thanks again,

1 - 7 of 7 Posts