AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got the HUghes HTL-HD. I have it installed with Triple LNB and also an antenna on my roof for OTA.

The roof antenna gets the locals in analog but it doesnt get any signal in digital. The only digital signal it gets is WPIX which I think is supposed to be the weakest digital in my area! Everything else tells me NO SIGNAL.

I think its UHF capable because its getting all the UHF channels in analog - but no signal in digital.

Any suggestions? This is a real bummer - I hope someone can help me!

Thanks.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Congratulations on getting your HTL-HD. It is a good unit for the price.

For OTA, you can go to www.antennaweb.org, put your full address and zip code in and it'll tell you what direction you need to point your antenna in. Once you point it in the general direction, you may have to tweak it a bit.

Good Luck,

Rober

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I already have a multi-direction antenna on the roof. Its pulling in channels but doesnt seem to be getting UHF Digitals.

·
Registered
68 Posts
2 things come to mind:

1. How far are you from the antenna farm where the DTV broadcasters are? I hear that 40-50 miles is OK but when you get to longer distances, a long range directional may be needed. For example, the ChannelMaster 4228 has a max range of 60 miles under ideal conditions.

2. I understand that even multidirectional antennas need to be tweaked sometimes.

Rober

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am within 25 miles of everything. I am trying the Zenith Silver Sensor which I heard great things about but it doesnt seem to work for me at all.

Im desparately trying to figure out what I can do - especially since installing a new outdoor antenna is going to run around $250...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by lirong
I am within 25 miles of everything. I am trying the Zenith Silver Sensor which I heard great things about but it doesn't seem to work for me at all.

I'm desperately trying to figure out what I can do - especially since installing a new outdoor antenna is going to run around $250...
Lirong:

I recently (last couple of days or so) have received my Samsung DTV HD rcvr and began to connect my antenna that was already on the roof to the rcvr.

When I began, I was a little discouraged about the signals that I was receiving (or NOT receiving as was more the case). Originally, I was plugging the antenna into the home's internal cable system and simply plugging the coax into the wall jack. A few analog channels came in and were pretty fuzzy, and, as you have found, no digital channels were detected.

I am approximately 50-60 miles from the nearest DT channels/stations but based on other people in my area, was convinced that I could rcv the digital channels.

The antenna I have is old - not fancy - and was already there when my wife and I bought the house a couple of years ago. But it is pretty large and capable of receiving both VHF and UHF stations.

I got a few tips from people on this forum, the biggest concerning HOW I was attaching the antenna to the rcvr. If possible, I would start here.

Try attaching the antenna directly to the rcvr and see what is detected. If you get no new channels and still no digital channels, try using an amplifier. I found that in my case tying the antenna directly to the rcvr did little to no better than before. However, I did attach the antenna to an amplifier and the output of the amp to the rcvr. I was amazed at the difference - most analog channels came in - even ones 75 miles away. Additionally, all available DT channels came in - all signal strengths at around 50.

Just a though. Perhaps this will help in your case. Do not give up - there is a way. If all else fails - return the antenna and get a bigger one. Sometime bigger IS better!! :D

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Quote:
I just got the HUghes HTL-HD. I have it installed with Triple LNB and also an antenna on my roof for OTA.

The roof antenna gets the locals in analog but it doesnt get any signal in digital. The only digital signal it gets is WPIX which I think is supposed to be the weakest digital in my area! Everything else tells me NO SIGNAL.

I think its UHF capable because its getting all the UHF channels in analog - but no signal in digital.

Thanks.
Did you have the receiver do a scan for all channels? Remember, that your local station isn't broadcasting its digital signal on the same channel as the analog. For example: my ABC affiliate (analog 34) is using ch 8 for its digital signal.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Quote:

Thanks.
A few issues I ran across while recently doing mine. FWIW, I live about 80 miles from the LA area broadcasting area and antennaweb.org said I would get nothing in DTV. I currently receive every single channel being transmitted from LA at a minimum of 77% signal strength.

1. Make sure that you are connected to the correct place on the antenna. Some antennas have multiple connection points that are used for different signals.

2. Make your own cable runs. I made the mistake of using a partial run into the house (just for testing purposes) before I made my own runs. The person that installed the RG6 connectors did a crappy job and my signal improved when I used my own cable.

3. Antenna elevation in relation to the horizon seems to be important. I was having trouble with two stations, KCAL-9.1 and KABC-7.1. I ended up installing a back tie and turnbuckle to my antenna and using that to "adjust" the antenna to point at a slight upward angle in relation to the horizon. An adjustment of 3-4° was all it took to lock those two stations in rock solid.

4. Make sure your antenna is oriented correctly. I mistakenly had my antenna installed 180° out of whack because "it looked right." It looked great, but it didn't work as well. :D

5. Get the antenna up a high as possible. Higher is better.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.