AVS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i just got the Samsung HT-AS720ST and i'm having problem with hooking the other devices to this system. I want to hook all the devices using HDMI cables. I have a samsung plasma 50'' TV and a samsung DVD player that has HDMI, a HD DirectTV box that also has HDMI, and a ps3. I'm having trouble deciding which would go into the receiver cuz the samsung ht-as720st receiver only comes with 2 output. And i have like 3 devices that need to hook up to HDMI. Please help me !!!!

·
Registered
63 Posts
The reciever has 1 hdmi out and 2 hdmi in

PS3 and HD Direct TV HDMI go into HDMI 1 and HDMI 2, and u need another HDMI cable from reciever HDMI OUT to the HDMI in the back of your TV.

DVD player you hook up to HDMI TO THE TV (no more slots on the reciever of course) adnd run an optical cable from the back of the dvd player to the reciever

enjoy

Your dvd player is useless, use the PS3 as your main dvd player if u want full hd audio in dvd vids

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by porchemasi /forum/post/14220760

The reciever has 1 hdmi out and 2 hdmi in

PS3 and HD Direct TV HDMI go into HDMI 1 and HDMI 2, and u need another HDMI cable from reciever HDMI OUT to the HDMI in the back of your TV.

DVD player you hook up to HDMI TO THE TV (no more slots on the reciever of course) adnd run an optical cable from the back of the dvd player to the reciever

enjoy

Your dvd player is useless, use the PS3 as your main dvd player if u want full hd audio in dvd vids

oh man thank you so much for this. i came here 3 days ago. asking the same question in the other thread and nobody answered. So i decided to post my own thread to ask question hopefully someone will answer. i'm really new to this thing you know. Can you also help me with the setting for the receiver to get the best sound out of it? There are alot of options in there i didn't understand.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
does it matter what HDMI cable you use? cuz the guys at best buy told me to get the monster cable brand which is the best and stuff. I didn't buy it cuz i thought it was too expensive.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Do not buy the Moster brand. Many people here on the forum think that monoprice has good cables at a great price. Just click their link at the top of this page.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i just checked out that website and wow there are so many of HDMI. which one is the right one?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
is there a difference between the awg? if i knew of this website before i wouldn't buy any HMDI cables from best buy. I already bought 2 HDMI cable from best buy when i got the system. I'll keep this website in mind for future needs. Do you know anything abut the Samsung HT-AS720S? If you do can you help me with the setting from the receiver?

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
I do not have a the Samsung HT-AS720ST but I have downloaded the users manual so I can try to help with questions. The manual seems pretty good.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok i have so many things i want to ask. First is the CROVR which is crossover. I have no idea which frequency is the right one since it goes from 80 to 200hz something. Second is setting the speaker level. Can you tell me the best setting for the speaker level so that i can get the best sound? Third is which surround sound mode should i choose? There are like 5 or 7 of them. I think that's it. Oh yeah i'm returning all the HDMI cables that i bought from bestbuy. Lol

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
I would start with the default settings which are set all speakers to small, subwoofer to yes, and cross over frequency at 150 Hz. You can always change these later after you get more comfortable with the system if you want. The surround mode is only important when you do not have a dolby digital or dts sound. I would play around with it and see which one you like the best. There is no one right answer to sound mode. With HDMI you are going to get the best sound when dolby digital and dts are available from the source.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ic, i've been playing around with the receiver since i got it. Still not satisfy with the sound i'm getting though. But when it comes to tweaking the sound it just a trial & errors things. It would probably take a while for me to really get use to this. Cuz i'm kinda new to the HTiB scene. This is my first system and also first time setting up a 5.1 Surround Sound System. It took me like 2 days to get everything in place. But thanks for helping me out. I have a question i need to ask you. Which do you think is the best system? I'm planning to do a 7.1 Surround Sound in the basement in the future. Can you point me to the right way in choosing what's best as in brand, quality, and price?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hey can you explain a lil bit about the HDMI cable they sell in the website monoprice.com?

First is the AWG, there's 22awg, 24awg, and 28awg. Does it matter which and what does those means? Second is the category 2 certified CL2 rated what does that mean cuz i see there are some with that and there are some don't have that. I just want to make sure i buy the right stuff.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts