AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

need some help from some of the sound experts in this forum to setup my speakers in my home theater room which has a unique "cathedral" type design..

My system is up and running but I need help with the correct placement of the speakers (location wise), as I don't think it is the optimal setup.

I have a attached a pdf of the a rough layout of the room and where I have placed the speakers..

All the speakers are at ground level, except for the surround speakers.

Also given the design of the room I don't think accoustics are being improved, fortunately I have a carpet installed, so if the sound waves hit the ground they are being absorved.. Any help with improving the acoustics would also be appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Raf

room layout.pdf 29.4169921875k . file

Attachments

· Registered
2,653 Posts
The one thing I would suggest is to pull your fron L/R mains away from the side wall a bit. The other, for "optimal" sound staging, the front L/R mains and the main seating position should be as close to an equilateral triangle as is possible. IOW, if the listening position is 10' away, ideally the L/R mains would be 10' apart. Try to get as close to that as you can.

As for room treatments, there are all kinds of resources to read about room treatments. Try searching on this forum where there is tons and tons of information. Google will also give you lot's of good information for sound treating rooms. Your main concern as I see it are the first order reflections off of the side walls and more than likely, the sloped ceiling on both sides right at the first reflection point.

· Registered
5,454 Posts
if by "ground level" you mean the speakers are sitting on the floor (i.e bookshelf type speakers on the floor) - then they need to be on short stands. If L&R are small towers, ignore the statement. The center channel needs to be a "seated ear level" or just below the TV. Tweeters for L&R should be at "seated ear level" or as close as you can get. These stands are 16" high, others are 24" and 31" http://www.amazon.com/SANUS-SYSTEMS-...8117641&sr=8-7

Dolby Labs recommends the surrounds be at 100 to 110 degrees with the TV at zero degrees, in other words, slightly behind the listeners shoulder and on the sides. Yours may need to move a couple of feet back and be aimed towards the central listening position.

You might try moving the subwoofer out of the side and more to the center under the TV (assuming you can move the center channel up under TV so they don't conflict.)

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys! When it comes to acoustics I am really just coming up to speed..

I do have bookshelf type speakers as mains on the floor.. I'll get some stands for them. Forming the isoceles triangle as suggested..

Moving the rears slitghly back is not a problem, I'll just use real thin cables and paint over..

The center speaker though, I can't get it at ear level since it would be in my line of sight to the projected screen. I can either have it below my ear but angled so that it points to my ear OR have it above ear level and have it with a downward angle to my ear.. I prefer the latter given that if pointed down the sound would not reflect with the couch or the carpet floor... I want as least as possible reflecting off that ceiling and angled walls!

Thanks!

· Registered
6,154 Posts
As mentioned, get the mains on stands so they are at ear level, when seated, and away from the side walls.

As your screen is 100" then place those L/R speakers so they're about 9 ft apart C/C, which would place them about to the sides of the screen. Also place them so they're at least two ft out from the wall and toed-in.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.