AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, so I'm setting up a new 5.1 one system with an Onkyo tx-sr506 that I own. Unfortunately I just realized it's a pass through receiver. As a result I can't get any sound out of this new system through my hdmi cables like I hoped. I have a comcast dvr/cable box, dvd player, and xbox. Do I really have to have an hdmi cable from each and an optical cable from each to the receiver? Would an optical out from my tv back to the receiver work? This reciever also only has two optical inputs. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
9,015 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltifer /forum/post/19629745

Hey all, so I'm setting up a new 5.1 one system with an Onkyo tx-sr506 that I own. Unfortunately I just realized it's a pass through receiver. As a result I can't get any sound out of this new system through my hdmi cables like I hoped. I have a comcast dvr/cable box, dvd player, and xbox. Do I really have to have an hdmi cable from each and an optical cable from each to the receiver? Would an optical out from my tv back to the receiver work? This reciever also only has two optical inputs.

Unfortunately, probably not. Most TVs only output stereo, not encoded DD 5.1, from external components. They only do DD 5.1 from their own internal tuners. And no TVs pass DTS. If one of your components has a coax output, you can use that instead. Or, you can get an optical-coax converter. I believe monoprice.com sells them. Or, you can get an optical switch to share one of the two inputs. Monoprice has those, too.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts