AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. If this is in the wrong section, I apologize.

I need help setting up my TV tuner with my PC and cable box. I have the PCTV HD mini and have it setup with my pc, but it won't show any channels. Is this the correct setup:

Coax cable from wall into Cable box "cable in" slot > Coax cable from cable box "cable out" slot to TV Tuner? I tried plugging the coax cable from the wall directly into the tuner and that at least picked up un encrypted channels, but none of them actually worked. Is there something I'm missing? I'm trying to view my channels through WMC.

Computer specs in case needed:

Windows 7 Home Premium x64

GTX 570HD

Q9550

Cable box is a Scientific Atlanta 4200HD from Cablevision (New York)

Shouldn't the PC just act as a "channel 3" if coax is running from the cable box? Any and all help is appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I don't think you can get this to work. If I understand correctly what you have, the cable box 4200HD is receiving the "cable" signal and coneverting it to something you can view on your TV. The channel changing is being done on the 4200HD (right?). If so, you are not sending all the available signals out of the 4200HD for your TV tuner to pickup. You are just sending the specific "single" channel you are tuned to at the moment.

Also, I think there is also going to be an issue with HDCP. The cable company does not want you to record any premium content. If you were able to just take the cable box output signal and send it to another device (in your case a Tuner, in some elses case a Caputure card) it would be too easy to copy the cable content.

I don't have cable, so I have no first hand experence with what I'm saying. I'm just basing my comments on what I've read on this forum.

·
Registered
912 Posts
That's not going to work. Not exactly sure which PCTV HD mini model you have but a quick google search revealed that it is a digital tuner only (ATSC/QAM) and the way your are trying to use it is as an analog capture device. You are correct in that you should be able to view channels by just tuning to "channel 3" but that is if your tuner was analog like the old TVs and VCRs but it isn't. The only way to get anything with that device is by plugging in an antenna for OTA ATSC channels or like you did cable straight out of the wall for clearQAM channels. Not sure why it didn't work when you tried, how did you set it up when you went through the wmc setup. Did you select QAM tuner?

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
If you want to record all your cable channels on your PC, then you need to ditch the cable box and buy a CableCard tuner such as Ceton InfiniTV4 or HD Homerun Prime and get a cablecard from your cable provider. You'll lose ondemand and ppv, though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help everyone. Now I can stop rattling my brain and trying every configuration I can think of lol. Its not a total loss since this was on sale for $20 (normally $80).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagor /forum/post/20876826

That's not going to work. Not exactly sure which PCTV HD mini model you have but a quick google search revealed that it is a digital tuner only (ATSC/QAM) and the way your are trying to use it is as an analog capture device. You are correct in that you should be able to view channels by just tuning to "channel 3" but that is if your tuner was analog like the old TVs and VCRs but it isn't. The only way to get anything with that device is by plugging in an antenna for OTA ATSC channels or like you did cable straight out of the wall for clearQAM channels. Not sure why it didn't work when you tried, how did you set it up when you went through the wmc setup. Did you select QAM tuner?

When I had it setup from the wall directly to the tuner, it did pick up all my channels, but 90% had a padlock on them and were encrypted. The ones that did not have a padlock just displayed a black screen and no audio in WMC. WMC picked up the tuner, scanned for channels and found nothing, but there were all there in the channel guide (I read somewhere that this happens).

Again, I appreciate all the help everyone.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.