AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please someone read this and tell me if the Panasonic is better for me.

After another night changing setting I am going crazy and I need to make a decision on whether I need to exchange.

I have had the HP-R4252 Samsung, HDTV Plasma for about 27 days. At first I was Happy, now I don't know... Seems I can't be satisfied.. One night it looks good, the next I'm asking my wife why it looks so bad and she thinks so too.? Maybe I should get the TH-42PX50U

I can't seem to get the skin tones right in Dark scene DVD movies or shows on Standard def.. also just dark scene in general SD or DVD flicker horribly I understand that standard def won't look that good but this is terrible.. I thought that DVD's would look O.K. but so far, Alien Vs. Preditor, Million Dollar Bay, and the Jacket have looks bad in Dark Scenes. Lord of the Rings looked decent, Lemony Snickets looked good.

I like the look of the Samsung, and menues opions better. PQ is more important though. HD programs look good but I have noticed some flickering there also.. My signal is -2 DB

Anyone with the Panasonic have these issues? Right now I can get an exchange for the Panasonic for the same price... and I only have a couple of days.. Please help.

SA8300 HD through component , HD850 Samsung DVD upconvert HDMI, Brighthouse Cable Digital HBO,CIN, and HD content.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Panasonic is very highly regarded here, (I have one myself), and I have not heard too many reports of the types of problems you've alluded to with your Samsung. DVD's; HDTV and most SDTV via Directv looks good to excellent on my set. Further, Panasonic plasmas are generally very highly rated in comparison tests in the trade magazines. If I was not happy with the picture the Samsung supplies, I would switch it before my 30 days were up. That's just my opinion.

Bish

·
Registered
955 Posts
See that is exactly the thing..

We buy these damn tvs and then get consumed with whether or not the picture is good, if the blacks are good, if the colors are good, if the tv is good..

crap.. I am sick of it!

I went through the same damn thing for the past 2 months, and to this day I still don't know..

you know what I don't care anymore.. although I love this forum, I need to live, go outside, get a girl tonight (know what I am saying)

I am not going to sit at home and watch stupid HDTV tonight, sick of it!

Thanks all

Mo!

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohanman

We buy these damn tvs and then get consumed with whether or not the picture is good, if the blacks are good, if the colors are good, if the tv is good..

crap.. I am sick of it!

I went through the same damn thing for the past 2 months, and to this day I still don't know..

you know what I don't care anymore.. although I love this forum, I need to live, go outside, get a girl tonight (know what I am saying)

Thanks all

Mo!
Admirable attitude. Is your set a top or bottom of the barrel set?

BTW, will she be a blond?

·
Registered
955 Posts
Well I got two,

A sony 32" plasma

and the new panasonic 42" 500U model

Look what you got me doing, replying..

Thanks man

red head

mo!

·
Registered
589 Posts
i don't know if the panny is better. but it is very clear you are not happy with your tv. and if you're not happy with it, you should definitely take it back and get something else

(and then let is know if it's better!)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohanman

crap.. I am sick of it!

Thanks all

Mo!

Mo, thats funny! Nothing like the real thing, life.. That always looks right... Blacks ,color, and shadow details..

That is my point, I should be able to get close enough on this expensive tv not to complain, but so far.. I cannot. I'm gonna try the Panasonic!

Have fun tonight Mo.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I started with the Panasonic ED version and while the PQ was very good, I could not get the tint/hue adjusted to my satisfaction (blues had some lavender, reds had some magenta).

I exchanged for the Samsung ED (4232). Aesthetically and feature-wise, the Samsung was superior. Personally, I still think it's one of the best looking sets. However, the PQ was not as good as the Panasonic. This was more noticeable in HD - my Samsung exhibited considerable false contouring. It was most noticeable in skin - people had blotchy patches rather than smooth gradations. Also noticable in sky scenes - as the color went from blue to white, there were clear bands of shades rather than smooth gradations.

My hook-up is D*TV via Tivo (S-video) for SD and OTA for HD.

Maybe I'm too picky but for 2 - 3 grand, I expect better. My Sony WEGA 32 CRT still looks good! (just can't do HD)

End result, the Samsung was returned and I'm back on the market for a new brand. Leaning towards Pio 4350 but no local dealers (with decent prices) so I'm debating my options.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I haven't seen a 4252, but I did have a 4232 that had similar issues with the picture. I exchanged for a Panasonic 42PD50 and am much happier.

If you have a DNIe Demo feature, use that to compare the picture with and without the DNIe processing. On the 4232, DNIe degrades the picture anytime there is any noise at all. This happens in dark scenes from any source, and also with low-quality signals/sources, which includes some DVDs and most SD broadcasts. On the 4232 you can't turn off DNIe, which made it a no-go for our use.

Here are two threads with more comments on the 4232 and DNIe.

Sammy SP-R4232 vs. Panny 42PD50U ?

samsung SP-R4232

·
Registered
341 Posts
A mate of mine has been using the Panny PW5 for about 2 or 3 years now and just recently he bought the new Samsung as he wanted all the inputs etc. and the idea was to put the old pw5 in the kids room.

He is trying to get a refund on it at the moment as he says it is absolutely awful compared to his Panasonic, at the mo it is sitting back in the box as they have said they won't take it back but he just can't watch it, he said it really is that bad.

I would take advantage and get it swapped if you have the option.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizlaroc
A mate of mine has been using the Panny PW5 for about 2 or 3 years now and just recently he bought the new Samsung as he wanted all the inputs etc. and the idea was to put the old pw5 in the kids room.

He is trying to get a refund on it at the moment as he says it is absolutely awful compared to his Panasonic, at the mo it is sitting back in the box as they have said they won't take it back but he just can't watch it, he said it really is that bad.

I would take advantage and get it swapped if you have the option.

At least I'm not crazy... I am going to order the Panny tomorrow. I really did try to adjust properly and it does not help. Only HD broadcast looks good. Maybe your next generation Samsung.. The store I bought from said they will bring me the Panny and take the Samsung away. What great service! At least that works out. Thanks to all that replied and if anyone else has noticed this, please do speak up and don't drive yourself crazy like I did for 3 weeks.

Delligatti

·
Registered
341 Posts
It amazes me that there are threads and threads on our UK forum with people raving on about the Panasonic picture and then there are loads of threads with people asking how to get a good picture out of their, Samsung, Hitachi, NEC etc. etc.

And then these same people say that when we recommend Panasonic we are being fan boys, and there isn't alot of difference between any of the plasmas, which is complete nonsense.

Let us know what you think when you get the panel swapped out.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Good call on swapping to the Panny. I agree Samsung can't yet compete in PQ. I am extremely pleased with the PQ on my Panny PX500 on both SD and HD. And regardless of settings, I have virtually no issues w/ false contouring. Colors are rich, vibrant, and transitions are very smooth and lifelike. Excellent shadow detail as well. I had a 6th gen Panny TH-42PD25U which suffered from bad false contouring on SD and only average shadow detail for a pdp. My PX500 not only has better colors but displays SD much clearer than my old ED set! I couldn't be happier. I'm sure you'll like the Panny. The 8th Gen pannies are a clear step ahead of competitors in my eyes.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by housecor
Good call on swapping to the Panny. I agree Samsung can't yet compete in PQ. I am extremely pleased with the PQ on my Panny PX500 on both SD and HD. And regardless of settings, I have virtually no issues w/ false contouring. Colors are rich, vibrant, and transitions are very smooth and lifelike. Excellent shadow detail as well. I had a 6th gen Panny TH-42PD25U which suffered from bad false contouring on SD and only average shadow detail for a pdp. My PX500 not only has better colors but displays SD much clearer than my old ED set! I couldn't be happier. I'm sure you'll like the Panny. The 8th Gen pannies are a clear step ahead of competitors in my eyes.

Today I played with the Samsung a lot and I also am going to blame the DNIE enhacement feature. If I could turn it off, I think this TV would be O.K. I played Alien Vs Preditor again today with the DNIE Demo and that explained the skin tone problem in the dark scenes. the picture is a whole lot smoother without it. I had a close up of the Actor with the screen split DNIE Demo and that is what is screwing it up. It enhances everything and makes it really blocky and shiny. Why would samsung put a demo but not let you turn it off. I have to admit, the DNIE does make certain scene look great. Mostly bright scenes.

I called the store that I bought from and they are going to bring the Panny on the 15th and take the Samsung with them. If anyone reading this thread is considering the Samsung XX52 series, please beware. High Def will look great in the store but when you are watching SD or DVD at home.. your dark scenes will be bad because of the DNIE. Thanks to all who replied.

Delligatti

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
the picture quality did it for me i got the 42px50u and i am very pleased no flicker compared picture with 36xbr side by side and the px won in every thing but blacker than black but by a very small margin.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.