AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a situation I could use some suggestions with.

Room size is 15 by 17

The left surround speaker in my 5.1 setup sits at ear level about 12" away, just a bit behind and to the side of my chair. I'm using Polk R150 speakers for surrounds and the direct radiating speaker that close really kills the immersion factor for me. I've tried lowering that speaker's volume but all that accomplishes is a lower sound, it is still so close that it kills any suspension of reality while trying to get into the movie.

I borrowed a pair of Mirage Nanosats and they did a good job of dispersing the sound. May consider them, but I was wondering given my situation, do you think Dipole type speakers would help? I can't borrow a pair of those, so opinions are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCATUCCI /forum/post/15592754

Room size is 15 by 17

The left surround speaker in my 5.1 setup sits at ear level about 12" away, just a bit behind and to the side of my chair. I'm using Polk R150 speakers for surrounds and the direct radiating speaker that close really kills the immersion factor for me. I've tried lowering that speaker's volume but all that accomplishes is a lower sound, it is still so close that it kills any suspension of reality while trying to get into the movie.

I borrowed a pair of Mirage Nanosats and they did a good job of dispersing the sound. May consider them, but I was wondering given my situation, do you think Dipole type speakers would help? I can't borrow a pair of those, so opinions are greatly appreciated.

I am no expert by any means, but I do own a pair of dipole speakers. They are the Polk f/x500i. Where I normally sit, one is roughly 15" from my right ear. Small area and not much room to work with. I would have to look and see how I have them set and their positioning. They do not overpower the surround like a bookshelf would from my experience, and I can set the channel up with no ill effects like you are suffering.

They may be your answer, may not. But, I have had similar speakers as rear surrounds like your R150's, and experienced the same problem regarding the sound, or lack thereof. I am very happy with my f/x500i's, they did and do the job.

And I am running them through a Denon 4308ci, if that matters.

Mike

·
Premium Member
2,136 Posts
More important than direct-radiating vs. dipole is, is your system set up symmetrically? You state that your left surround is 12" from your ear; where's your right surround? Where are the other speakers in relation to your seating position? Even if you use dipoles as surrounds to disperse the sound more, it seems that due to your setup limitations it'll still be louder on your left than right.

Have you calibrated the speaker levels with an SPL meter? That should help you balance the speaker levels given their positions relative to your seating position. So, yes, the left surround will be quieter, but it should also blend better with the rest of your system, which is the goal.

Regardless of if you're using direct firing or dipoles, BOTH surrounds should blend with the system, and not be something that you necessarily key into. Like you said, they should immerse you in the movie, not cause you turn think "the left speaker is louder than the right; that shouldn't be". Similar to a subwoofer, they should be active when they soundtrack TELLS them to be active, and then BAM, there they are. You should NOT be hearing sound out of the surrounds all of the time.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
The main issue here is speaker distance from your ear. Really anything closer than 2-3 feet might caught you problems. You also need an SPL meter to make sure that all 5 channels are level in sound pressure (your ears won't really be able to tell how to set them manually). Run the test tones in your receiver for all 5 (or 7) channels, set each to 75db per the SPL meter (you may run some channels into the negative and this is ok!) then set the distances in your receiver so it's also time aligned according to how quickly each channel is processed and reaches your ear. Once setup properly the type of speaker shouldn't matter so much.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
I went and checked on the f/x500i's positioning. I have the tweeter pointed in towards the seating area and they are set to dipole. The driver is pointed away and out into the room. Here is the link to the Polk f/x500i's product page, http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/products/fx500i/

They really are fantastic speakers in regards to sound. In a movie, you will hear a whisper or sound in the background, and you swear it is coming from somewhere in the house, not the movie. It can really drive our two shelties crazy at times. And if you are really engulfed in a movie, scare the you know what out of you.

I would give them a look see. And I hope this helps.

Mike

And on edit: I to used the old Radio Shack SPL Meter to set up my room. It did make a difference.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye11 /forum/post/15592901

The main issue here is speaker distance from your ear. Really anything closer than 2-3 feet might caught you problems. You also need an SPL meter to make sure that all 5 channels are level in sound pressure (your ears won't really be able to tell how to set them manually). Run the test tones in your receiver for all 5 (or 7) channels, set each to 75db per the SPL meter (you may run some channels into the negative and this is ok!) then set the distances in your receiver so it's also time aligned according to how quickly each channel is processed and reaches your ear. Once setup properly the type of speaker shouldn't matter so much.

Good luck!

+1. Calibrate your speaker system.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCATUCCI /forum/post/15592754

Room size is 15 by 17

Can you move them two to three feet above your ears?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts