AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think my SIR-T150 has stopped working. I bought it for the winter Olympics in Utah. around November of 2001 and it worked flawlessly. Except for a two week spell when it did what its doing now.

Symptoms: Power on the two LEDs light (power and signal lock) The signal lock starts red then goes yellow/red during "boot" (does this thing boot?) then turns red. I can always find at least one local ota station broadcasting in the Baltimore area, but nothing. The unit refuses to lock on to any channel.

Trouble Shooting: (It was working two nights ago!)

Checked the antenna, cable and amps are in line and connected. Look good.

Checked the menu screen from the SIR-T150 and i can pull that up on my HDTV monitor ok. I go to channel and look at signal strength and i get zero. Not even a flicker. Exit this menu and try connecting the S-video out from the SIR-T150 to my monitor and nothing, no picture.

Tried another antenna with built in amp. nothing on the signal strength meter.

Could my input RF be dead? Anybody know where I can get this fixed? I would like to see the Super Bowl in HD.

Any tips, suggestions, help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK, it has started working again!

Just like that. It hasn't worked all day so I had spent about an hour troubleshooting, after giving up and resorting to the forum for help the SIR-T150 started working. Just like that. I was over on the couch reading the programing forum when I saw the signal lock light go yellow then green.........I'd literally just sent the call for help!

Not sure whats going on. Anybody had similar experience?

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
Yes I've had similar symptoms with my 2year old SIR-T150 for a long time. It appears that sometimes it needs to "warm up" for a half-hour or so and disconnecting/reconnecting the antenna helps too. There may be a poor solder connection or something because if I take the STB off the shelf and turn it on its side on the floor and lightly tap on the bottom it will light up green and stay on!

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Some people have reported "overheating" as a theory on these type of problems. I installed a cooling fan on the topside of my case when I first got mine 2 years ago. I have never had any trouble with it. I also turn it off when I am not using it. Heat is not good for electronics and they did a poor job of cooling this unit in terms of the basic case design. It should have had a fan.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.