AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 4 TV receivers. 1 Samsung HD DirTV box, 1 two-line Tivo box (one line goes direct, the other through a multi-switch), and two standard DirTV hughes boxes

I am having some wierd glitches. I am getting the periodic "searching for satellite signal" message on every box going through the multi-switch, I am getting total signal dropout on the Samsung for 1-3 seconds. Sometimes more frequent, and then total loss of signal. The installer comes back, replaces the multi-switch, it works for awhile, then the same thing happens. Another wierd clue. When setting up the Tivo box, the signal is very strong from all three sats on all three transponders (ABC) for sat1 and sat2. But when it does the setup, it fails on transponder b and c saying "not detected", but only on the line going through the Multiswitch. The direct line is fine. I was told by my installer that the Samsung boxes are defective and is sending a charge that burns out the multi-switch. So I returned the Samsung box and exchenged it for a Hughes DirTV HD with HD recorder. I have now replaced the Tivo and Samsung boxes, LNB, and about 5 multiswitches.The installer is here and we are still finding problems. The new HD Tivo box is showing the strong signal on sat 123 on ABC transponder, but upon setup, fails saying transponder b and c not detected.

Whoever solves this mystery is my hero, and has my undying gratitude, as nobody can figure this problem out. HELP!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
Well, here is the problem - you have a tripleLNB dish, which will have 4 outputs. One goes directly to your Tivo, which will have full access to all three satellites. The other 3 lines then need to be sent to 4 receivers. The only way to do that is to have a 2x4 multiswitch, which will not send out signals from the B and C orbital slots.

You will need to run all your boxes through the multiswitch and most likely will have to pay up some extra bucks to get a 5x8 multiswitch.

If you have been running a 5x8 multiswitch, then why are you taking one line and bypassing the switch?

As for the multiswitch, are you using a 2x4/3x4 switch? Is your triple LNB dish a Terk? (That has the 4x4 multiswitch built in).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mr. Poindexter, it sounds like you may be on to something. Right now I have been using a 3 x 4 Multiswitch. That is why the other line has to go direct to the Tivo. The LNB is a Direct TV branded made by Sharp. It does have the multi-switch built in.

Where do you buy a 5 x 8 multi-switch? What is your level of confidence that this will fix the problem? I very much appreciate your help!

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
Noonan, I would nearly guarantee that is your issue. Your DirecTV installer should be shot for putting something like that in, or at the very least lose his contract to install satellite systems.

You can get a 5x8 multiswitch from many places. Try this unit here:
http://www.*********************/acce...multi-switches

That is what I use for my DirecTV system and it works fine. It does need power, but all the 5x8 multiswitches do.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mr Poindexter,...(and all other posters)

I wanted to give you all an update. You were correct. I had a different installer come in from Direct TV. Apparently the original installer only had 2 feeds going into a 2 x 4 multi-switch. He also pulled a 3rd line directly to the Tivo box. So he basically tried to cover 4 receivers and a 2nd Tivo line with 3 lines. Plus, one receiver was a HD feed. So the new guy pulls a 4th line, installed a powered, 5 x 8 multiswitch and was gone in 30 minutes.

I have gone through a lengthy game of cat and mouse with Best Buy, Direct TV, the installer, etc. for nothing. All because of an inept installation company. The guy that fixed it said this is basic stuff and there was no way it was going to work the way the original installer had it configured. Unbelievable that this installer had 5 guys come over to figure out what was wrong, and none of them could figure it out.

Thank you all so much for helping me.

·
Registered
507 Posts
The Butler did it!

·
Registered
10,880 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Noonan
... Unbelievable that this installer had 5 guys come over to figure out what was wrong, and none of them could figure it out...
Not really unbelievable. In my area, we have similarly incompetent subcontractors working for comscat cable.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.