AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I was setting up my new (to me) 1031q last evening and as I was putting the main cover on (with projector powered up) and it shut down. I thought maybe I bumped the power button on the user control panel but unfortunately that was not the case.

I cycled the main power switch on the front and then the power switch on the user control panel. When it came back on I had a green 'power' light and an orange 'high res' light. No fans (previously worked), no lights on the DB Board or user control panel. I get a very bright horizontal line for each tube (mid raster) for a few seconds then it shuts down again. This happens regardless of input or mode (normal/test/secam).

Just prior to putting the cover on I had adjusted the width coils for Red and Blue on the DA Board. It was atleast 5 minutes after that adjustment that the projector shut down.

The only source I had hooked up is composite video. It was displaying the convergence grid (in test mode) when I was putting the cover on. There is no high resolution source connected.

The projector was in fine working order prior to my adjustments. It had been running for about 2 hours last evening.

Could I possibly have taken the limit on the width coils to far? Could the copper grounding tabs of the cover have hit something as I was trying to put the cover on?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim

·
Registered
18,506 Posts
I'm guessing one of the 4 fuses under the lenses on the small PC board have blown. Pull the projector down, remove the lens assembly and you'll see them buried towards the tubes on a small PC board.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Curt is pure CRT (and am sure otherwise) genius!

Fuse did the trick.

Amazingly, that bright horizontal line on each tube burned the red & blue tubes pretty badly. Now to find two tubes (that'll be a new thread).

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
Jim that's a 15 year old set and will barely do above progressive scan, It's just not worth dumping $ into. There's many newer sets out there going for dirt cheap that would deliver twice the light output and twice the picture sharpness. Look for a Barco 701/801 or electrohome ECP 3500/4500 sets.

Something like this PG9100 will blow them all out of the water and can be had for almost nothing if your willing to gamble a little
http://cgi.govliquidation.com/auctio...&convertTo=USD

·
Registered
18,506 Posts
To be fair though, there's probably less of a chance to get something working and inty off govliquidation now than there is on ebay from an 'as is' seller. How about the forum member that just bought three Sony 1272s, but all were missing the tubes?

Govliquidation was better a few years ago, but if you have money to gamble and don't mind bidding on something that could be complete crap in the end, go for it. Ditto with ebay.

If you do want to get that 1031 running, I've got cheap good red tubes, the blue will be a little tougher to find.

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
curt's right, when I said "willing to gamble a little" I meant very little, as in a few hundred bucks. That web-site will clean you out and leave you with crap, they are known for misrepresenting conditions of items and many people have bought PJ's that were gutted and wound up with empty shells. It's a great place to buy a parts machine or fixer-upper but only if it's local to you. freight companies will normally charge double thei normal rates to pick-up anything from a government location.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Again...good all around advice - caveat emptor!

Dave

(sticking with ebay...)

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well at least no one said to go digital!

Please be aware this is not my primary projector - I am one of the few Mits VS1281 owners (actully have 2 of them).

And while it's not worth the money on pure logic, it is somewhat of a 'project' projector and I intend to use it in my kids playroom. Great for its chassis size as the mrs does not want to see something like the 1281 in that room. It actually fits in the base of an armoire and fires out with the doors open.

BUT ONTO THE NEW FOUND TROUBLE- Now that it works again, I cannot adjust the horizonal bow ( not ))/(( ) for any of the three colors, or the horizonal corner adustmets for blue & red. I replaced all of the blown fuses on the convergence board but that only helped with red & blue horizonal size & Skew. This was not a problem prior to what i initially described at the beginning of this thread.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
348 Posts
There is something to be said for the "chase". If you have a fondness for your VS1281, then by all means tinker with it. You might want to take a reality check though when the $$$ start adding up on replacement parts.

JMHO,

Dave

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
Jumping up and down screaming:

I need a green tube for my mits 1281 if you happen to have a good spare you want to sell.

Troy

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.