AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a Sony 1042Q projector in good condition, it looks like new. It supposedly was working before shipment, but when it arrived the projector would power up for only 2 seconds then shut off. I have read some threads that state to check the fans. I only see three fans on this unit and they all seem to be working. Are there other fans that I cannot see? Or is there another area I should be looking at? Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you

·
Registered
18,503 Posts
This chassis is almost impossible to troubleshoot without a schematic. There are several shutdown circuits that will trigger the power supply to shut down, but no error LED's or displays that will give you a hint as to where to look.

If you have two identical sets, start swapping modules until the problem goes away. I probably have working spare boards for you when you narrow it down.

Curt

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
I don't know if this will help you or not... But I had the same problem, with the same 1042q model, and it turned out to be the caps in the power module were shorting. I had to remove the lens assembly, pull the module thats smack dab in the center under the lenses, take it apart and you'll see three large capacitors (mine were brown high temp) all together in a L shape. I replaced the smaller two and all was well again. Larger wasn't shorted.

This could be the same thing on yours, or a complete wild goose chase. Like curt said it could be a million other things. Can't hurt to get in and look though if you are able to do it, and vented/shorted caps will usually show some swelling even if slight, or they'll have vented up onto the metal surround and you'll see discoloration where they leaked on the metal above them.

If they still look good, you may have to desolder them and test with an ohmmeter to really tell for sure. The caps cost me 1.98, and the replacement power module was $800 for a new one or $300 used.

(Even if they aren't bad I would just replace them anyway, then one thing is ruled out for sure.)

Good luck

Troy

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Curt, thanks for the info. I did as you said. I swapped out parts starting with the power modules. Nothing worked until I got to the big board, the convergence board, the one on the top that has all the little adjustments for the crt's. It also has a power button and sharpness dials, picture, volume etc....

Do you or anyone else know how to fix this board? or can I get one cheap someplace? do you have a spare?

thanks

·
Registered
125 Posts
kr10298,

Have you solve your problem? I got the same prolem on my 1042QM too. Unlike you, I don't have a spare to swap the parts.

Hope to hear your updated information.

Thanks,

C.F. Cheung

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.