AVS Forum banner

Help: Sony 600es or JVC RS-6710 and screen recommendation (Stewart or other)

1K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  Brian B 
#1 ·
Ok, it's been 12 years since my last purchase and with the latest purchase of my Xbox One - I am now in need of an upgrade!!

Media room is downstairs. Minimal ambient light..not a dedicated black pit - light colored walls, large wooden slat blinds.

Current MLP is 16' from screen (111" Luxus Stewart Ultramatte 150). Current projector is set at 128" on ceiling mount - Front Projection (it's freaking old..Seleco Sim2 svd-800 hd Millenium). We have an L-Shaped couch...most viewing will be from 3 seats 0 - 30 degrees from center. Some viewing may occur from wider - but it hasn't been an issue with my current screen.

We watch it all Sports and Gaming primarily. Movies occasionally. DirectTV. Some BluRay.

I have been reading a lot on this forum and value the opinions expressed and I am happy to answer questions and provide information I need to get a strong recommendation.

What do I want - biggest screen I can get (which seems to be a 146.75") - motorized drop down.

Immersive visuals. I want to be "there". I think the blacks suck in my current setup and I have to raise the brightness to insane levels to see anything in the darker areas while playing games and the whole thing washes out.

So - I am considering the new Sony 600es (no budget for the 1100) or the JVC RS-6710.

Screens - I was considering the FHG4 until I came upon a thread about it...

Installer is recommending Screen Innovations Black Diamond, but I also want to research Carada, Dalite HP, and JKP based on recommendations seen on the forums here.

Let me know your thoughts and questions and thanks in advance for the help!!

RJ in Arizona

See less See more
#2 ·
After 3 JVC projectors I personally would clearly tend to 600/500er.

Sony has personally caught up to me and scores with innovations.

JVC is me too much on their image (Black Level contrast) like Pioneer in the plasma segment which eventually leads to broken neck.

#3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Johnson  /t/1507835/help-sony-600es-or-jvc-rs-6710-and-screen-recommendation-stewart-or-other#post_24121045

What do I want - biggest screen I can get (which seems to be a 146.75") - motorized drop down.

RJ in Arizona

Is this diagonal or width? And what is the aspect ratio you are planning?

B.

#4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Johnson  /t/1507835/help-sony-600es-or-jvc-rs-6710-and-screen-recommendation-stewart-or-other#post_24121045

I think the blacks suck in my current setup and I have to raise the brightness to insane levels to see anything in the darker areas while playing games and the whole thing washes out.

This sounds like incorrect levels on the game system possibly--video vs. PC.

B.

#5 ·

Quote:

Installer is recommending Screen Innovations Black Diamond, .

This is a very application specific screen. You don't mention the ambient light levels which will be important in considering the screen choice. I take it it is not acoustically transparent, but is it fixed or retractable? Will you want masking (also depends if you are going 1.78 or not...)

B.

#7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B  /t/1507835/help-sony-600es-or-jvc-rs-6710-and-screen-recommendation-stewart-or-other#post_24125232

This is a very application specific screen. You don't mention the ambient light levels which will be important in considering the screen choice. I take it it is not acoustically transparent, but is it fixed or retractable? Will you want masking (also depends if you are going 1.78 or not...)

B.

I have to go buy a light meter for ambient light levels, but I control all the lighting and I am in a basement...rarely watch anything during the day - so assume 0. Don't want/need acoustically transparent. Retractable. No masking.

Looking at another Luxus Model A Stewart in either StudioTek 130 or Neve

#8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Johnson  /t/1507835/help-sony-600es-or-jvc-rs-6710-and-screen-recommendation-stewart-or-other#post_24125346

I have to go buy a light meter for ambient light levels, but I control all the lighting and I am in a basement...rarely watch anything during the day - so assume 0. Don't want/need acoustically transparent. Retractable. No masking.

The only reason to not go with a standard white screen will be reflections off the walls and ceiling. If you want to try to control some of this with the screen you can, but with other limitations. You should request ST130 samples and check for any noticeable sparkles and get the CIMA material for comparison as well. Edit: I see you have Ultramatte now, so you aren't noticing any sparkling--although I don't recall seeing this effect in the CRT days myself.

The Sony supposedly has better motion handling and offers a brighter image which should benefit you on 3D (if you care) and will help with lamp dimming over time. I'm waiting for mine as we speak.

B.

#9 ·
Sony no doubt.

Since you seem to keep your gear for the long haul, the Sony will provide you with support for 4k when the format eventually takes off. Better resale as well and the upconversion to 4k looks fabulous.

I

#11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Johnson  /t/1507835/help-sony-600es-or-jvc-r...endation-stewart-or-other/0_100#post_24125346

Ok, just took some readings mid day - which would be peak ambient light - registered 22 lux (2.0 ftL) at the screen - this is taken where the screen would be - not reflecting off the screen.

I turned on some lights that would be on - popcorn maker and back of the room lights for party/sports mode - with either or both of those on it registered 24 lux (2.2 ftL) at the same point. Also - no difference if one or the other or both were on - still 24 lux.

Then I decided to turn on the main lights and test (never a scenario where I see this unless I plan to do seminars in my basement - HA!) - registered 44 lux (4.1 ftL).

I will take a reading tonight when I would normally be in the basement watching whatever!

Thanks in advance for the help!

#12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Johnson  /t/1507835/help-sony-600es-or-jvc-rs-6710-and-screen-recommendation-stewart-or-other#post_24125346

If you are putting in the ceiling I would suggest looking at the Visionary (assuming ST130) as it is self finishing. We only the Luxus if it is going into a soffit or wood or something that needs a special finishing. The CIMA screens are already self-finishing.

B.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.