Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone.

First I must admit I am a newbie to HT. But am learning quick. I know this is going to be a repeat thread but I thought that I would drop my 2 cents. Originally I was planning on getting a projector, but expected the min price to be about $3k. I have found out that you can get a nice pj for about $2k. A quick search brought me to the Sony Cineza. I read two reviews on it that said it was great for the price. I told myself that the search was over. However, I have come to realize that the Sony may not be all that great. Not to mention that DLP seems better for HT. Can anyone give me the low-down between the ones I mentioned above? Or any others in the

·
Registered
819 Posts
jrk74,

if you are not sensitive to rainbow effect with LT-150 (you must test this yourself to find out) and you can tolerate the huge noise levels of LT-150 (again, you must test this out for yourself), then by far - LT-150 will give you a superior picture.

If you are using HTPC as a source and can't stand LT150 rainbow/noise, then AE100 is your buy.

This is my personal opinion. Others will surely post theirs.

cheers,

Halcy

·
Registered
24 Posts
jrk74,

I also considered the Cineza, and plagued all forums and bords. I researched this for more than a month, went and had a demo with Sony and at the end decided that the root is not for me.

The reasons are:

1. Picture Quality.

2. Luminance

3. High Price (for what you get)

4. Bad rep. Here and everywhere.

I am now verrrry close to buying a Panasonic 711. I considered the Panasonic 75u, which is way better than Sony, and within the same price range. The 75u is 1200 lumins and the 711 is 1600 lumins. In my poorly controlled light environment, lumins are very important.

The only advantage of the Sony is the side picture correction. If I would have bought the Sony, it would have worked in my sitting room without any problems because of this feature. The Pany now will require me to fit a shelve in order to have the pj project straight.

Other than the advantage above, I cannot see anything that the Sony is superior at.

Do yourself a favour and get a demo on the panny.

Good luck

And have fun

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Reasons we (AVS) don't like Cineza:

1) Over priced ($2k for average SVGA LCD--no thank you)

2) Mediocre brightness

3) Low resolution (4:3 SVGA means 800X450 16:9 resolution which is less than Panny AE100 Wide-VGA of 856X480).

4) Mediocre contrast (Sony LCD as a whole has weak blacks and contrast)

5) Poor and slow Sony support for dead pixel (takes a lot to get them to fix a single dead pixel in center of screen) as it's considered within their spec. My Sony VPL-CX1 (4:3 XGA) took 1 month to get 6 dead pixels replaced (brand new, out of box dead pixels)

6) Poor factory ceiling mounting support (the Aussie has figured out how but it's an after market hack of Sony's Service Mode).

7) Not sure about 480p component support (my VPL-CX1 supported only 480i component through its VGA port).

Heck for the same or less than $2K an NEC LT75z (SVGA DLP, LT150's little brother with very nice image) will beat the pants off the Sony Cineza provided you tolerate DLP's rainbows and eyestrain (most of us do fine with DLPs) or for $1400 the Panny AE100 (Wide VGA 16:9 LCD)should kick the Cineza's butt due to native 16:9 and better CR. For $2K the Sanyo XW15 or clone should beat Cineza in every aspect. B-stock LT150 can be had for $2K periodically (check with Jason here at AVS to be on waiting list). There was a 350 hrs used, 5 mo. old LT150 being sold here by another AVS member for $2.2K but I'd bet you can get it for $2K. LT150 (used or not) will kick Cineza off the charts.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I totally agree with Huey. Although I do not owned the Cineza, I have seen it on demo it gives very poor color saturation and contrast, there is no "snap" to it. It also has a more visible screen door compared to the latest crop of panny lcd pj. Enjoy the PJ hunt.

·
Registered
660 Posts
The Cineza shouldn't make you feel sorry for it...it's sorry enough on it's own.

I'd pop for the LT150 or LT75z, too. I'm not bothered by "rainbows" and the smooth, rich images of a good DLP projector are music to my eyes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.