AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've had my KDS R50XBR1 for a good 5 years now and up until around 9 months ago it was working perfectly fine, looked great, etc. However all of a sudden after being on for maybe 20 minutes or more the screen would dim. Not like super dark dim, but would dim noticeably. After a few more weeks it pretty much would dim a couple minutes after being turned on (i.e. it'll heat up the bulb go from dark to nice and bright to dim).

I thought that maybe the bulb was dying but it's been 9 months and I haven't seen a "your bulb is dying" message or the supposed red light alerting you it is dying so I'm not so sure that it is anymore.

Does anyone know what's going on? Should I get a replacement bulb? Or is it something worse? Thank you.

·
Registered
533 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalnos /forum/post/21478395

So I've had my KDS R50XBR1 for a good 5 years now and up until around 9 months ago it was working perfectly fine, looked great, etc. However all of a sudden after being on for maybe 20 minutes or more the screen would dim. Not like super dark dim, but would dim noticeably. After a few more weeks it pretty much would dim a couple minutes after being turned on (i.e. it'll heat up the bulb go from dark to nice and bright to dim).

I thought that maybe the bulb was dying but it's been 9 months and I haven't seen a "your bulb is dying" message or the supposed red light alerting you it is dying so I'm not so sure that it is anymore.

Does anyone know what's going on? Should I get a replacement bulb? Or is it something worse? Thank you.

Have you turned off power-saving mode in Setup?

Otherwise, probably the lamp going. Sounds like you got your money's worth from the original lamp.

If you do replace the lamp be sure to get a quality lamp like a Philips, Sony, or Osram. No Chinese knockoffs!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah power saving mode is off. I went on amazon and grabbed a philips replacement lamp (I also happened to notice that my original lamp is also a Philips). Hopefully everything works out, otherwise I'll probably be posting in this thread some more.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts