AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what the native resolution of this screen is? I called Sony and asked their support but I think they lied to me when they told me it was 1024x768. I have it connected to the DVI port on my Radeon 7000, and it reports to the computer that the maximum resolution is 1920x540.

Anyway, it is driving me nuts because the screen is defaulting to 720x480 resolution, and I can't seem to get it to switch to any other resolution. I've installed the latest ATI drivers and ATI control panel. Perhaps I should install Powerstrip as well.

Does anyone have theirs hooked up to their HTPC? I'd really like to get Dscaler going with this because the internal line doubling circuitry sucks on this set.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
There are a number of posts regarding this issue, but you cannot output from a computer to the xbr800 and get anywhere near the full resolution. That DVI input is not designed for use with computers. In fact, the user manual warns against using it in that way.

·
Registered
186 Posts
It's reporting 1920x540 because that's the best it can do progressive. 1080i is 1920x1080 at 60 fields per second, i.e. 30 frames per second.

Yes, you should download PowerStrip since you can use it to configure your adapter for 1080i output: You'll need to choose a custom resolution, and check the "Interlaced" box.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by XFactor
There are a number of posts regarding this issue, but you cannot output from a computer to the xbr800 and get anywhere near the full resolution.
You mean horizontal resolution, right? The set is capable of drawing 1080 horizontal scan lines of vertical resolution.

Quote:

That DVI input is not designed for use with computers. In fact, the user manual warns against using it in that way.
True, and it's possible to damage the set if you're not careful. But that doesn't mean you can't send a 1080i (or 720p) signal into the set from a properly configured PC.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by drfrank
True, and it's possible to damage the set if you're not careful. But that doesn't mean you can't send a 1080i (or 720p) signal into the set from a properly configured PC.
Has anybody successfully done this? I don't remember any posts of a person successfully sending an HD signal from a computer thru the DVI input on an xbr800.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The only thing I want to use the HTPC for is DScaler, scaling 480i input from my digital cable box to the highest possible 4:3 resolution on the TV. I already have a progressive scan DVD player. I want to avoid using 16:9 resolution because I don't want to have unused screen real estate on my 4:3 material.

I did a search on "XBR" in the HTPC forum and it looks like some people are using powerstrip to get a 540p resolution for use with Dscaler.

It seems like the quality will be pretty poor if that is the highest output resolution I can use.

I'm dissapointed that this TV can't display a decent resolution through the DVI port. It seems that it should be capable of displaying a much higher resolution, because 720p and 1080i does work just fine (in a 16:9 window).

It's too bad my PC can't talk to it just like it was a 21" Sony Trinitron computer monitor. With DVI it would look incredible if I could display 1280x1024 or even 1024x768.

Thanks.

·
Registered
306 Posts
As I understand it even the new XBRs will scale 720p to 1080i. Hence the careful wording in the feature lists. They list "720p input" and they even mention that 720p will be converted to 1080i.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just as an update to this, I was able to get Dscaler working on my HTPC, but only at a 640x480 resolution. The PQ is great (much better than the internal DRC circuitry), but there is about an inch of black space around the de-interlaced image. I downloaded PowerStrip and found that even 720x480 chopped off a significant portion of the visible screen area, and this was unacceptable.

In the HTPC forum someone suggested that I create a custom resolution of 720x496, and they gave custom timing settings for their KV-36XBR800 (should be pretty much the same as the 40, right?). It didn't work; still chopped off a significant portion of the video, and the timing settings didn't work very well.

I also found that if you try to use a 16:9 resolution in Powerstrip, such as 1920x540, it automatically switches the TV over to landscape mode, where you get the bars at the top and bottom of your screen. I tried to create a custom resolution within Powerstrip for 1920x1080 interlaced, but the interlaced box is grayed out.

I'm hoping someone in this forum can tell me what custom resolution and timing settings they are using in Powerstrip with this TV to get the best PQ. If you want you can just send me a snippet from your .ini file.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Hey, you're luckier than I have been with the DVI input. :p On my setup with a Radeon 9700 Pro, when I try using DVI, the text modes (for the BIOS, etc.) work just fine, as does the first graphic mode that XP switches to during bootup (640x480x4-bit for the boot progress screen), but the TV can't sync onto anything within XP from DVI. Using the VGA output and a transcoder seems to work just fine but the image has some minor ghosting that looks as though it wouldn't be visible with the DVI (as it isn't in the text modes).

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Something else I just tried just to (partially) verify it's not just a completely messed up DVI port (though if it was you'd think text modes wouldn't work either :p): I just tried the DVI output from the 9700 Pro with the DVI-I->VGA dongle, to the VGA->component transcoder, to the TV, which displays just fine.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
As an update, I tried out DVI once again and it looks like I'm about to where you are with it - that is, it defaults to using 720x480, and getting higher resolutions out of it are close to a no-go (highest resolution I've gotten it to sync on is 960x720). And on top of that, now that I've seen it in the graphic modes through DVI, blech! The picture using the VGA -> component transcoder (Audio Authority's for the curious) is much better! Through DVI, the picture is somewhat grungy and there's noticable noise when on solid-colored backgrounds (especially dark ones). I think I'll be switching back to the analog solution; I can at least switch to just about any mode out there and it'll work, though I do need to play with the timings a lot to try to eliminate some of the overscan (or perhaps I may at least partially deal with that in the service menus :p).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.