AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided on Denon AVR-888 then saw the Sony DG2100 at a good price. Which one is better? Not a big audioholic. Just hooking up a hdtv by sony, and a dvd player and cd. Also just got Mirage OMD5 speakers and have an old 11 year old Yamaha receiver so looking to upgrade without have to upgrade again. Seems Sony has some better features?

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
JMO but I think the 2100 has a lot more features (3 vs 2 HDMI, upconverting and scaling, etc.) and can be had for about the same price.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
You should clarify what you mean by better. Reading into your comments, sounds like you don't think sound quality is your main concern (and suspect Sony's sound quality is perfectly acceptable anyway.)

If you aren't hung up on which has the better sound, list out their features on a piece of paper and decide from there.

The extra HDMI input may be very useful in the future. Definitely Read the product specific threads on those AVRs (I think both AVRs have a dedicated thread.) They are often long, but may list some of the hidden gotchas with either product.

I have a bias against Sony, and I admit it's a bias, so I can't give you much more advice.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Depending on the model of your Sony TV, if you have the Sony receiver you can also use Bravia Theatre Sync. That way the TV can automatically turn on/off the receiver and the receiver can switch the TV to the correct input, among other things.

·
Registered
164 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo5 /forum/post/12859365

Depending on the model of your Sony TV, if you have the Sony receiver you can also use Bravia Theatre Sync. That way the TV can automatically turn on/off the receiver and the receiver can switch the TV to the correct input, among other things.

It's CEC so it works with other brands CEC sometimes.

Btw I've got the Sony str-dg2100 and like it. But like you I'm just a normal joe, unlike a lot of people on here who can tell the difference between gear blindfolded just by the sound. One of the great features, besides the CEC, is the menu. It's on screen on the tv and is similar to the XBR4 menu so it's easier to use.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've always had Sony everything. Leaning to the 2100 or 1100 will keep researching. seems no reviews on either from various places (cnet) Etc. But thanks to all. I have always liked nice equipment though.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
I prefer Denon quality/performance over Sony, and have for years.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
"Better" meaning. Sound quality and experience in the A/v receiver market. I like Denon 888 but setting that up looks like a nightmare. Sony seems easier and it has true HD/3 Hdmi ports. Who knows just wish there were reviews on these models??

·
Registered
33 Posts
Well here's my 2cents. I bought a Sony STR-DG910 based on features (extra HDMI) I tried to like it, had it for two weeks hooked up to my B&W 685s but ultimately took it back and upgraded to a Denon 2808.

The sound was much warmer with the Denon, with more power and way better Auto cal.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts