AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be building a dedicated theater room with rough dimensions 20 X 16 X 9.

I have one question as I have never taken on a project like this, however, I believe I might be able to pull it off. Here is my question:

You put up three layers of drywall and green glue for the ceiling and double dry wall and green glue for the walls. A soffit is built and this along with the columns are how wires are routed and to maximize sound control (sound escaping the room).

How exactly are the electrical wires, conduit, etc... routed into the soffet and room from the adjoining ceilings and walls without cutting too many holes into the newly installed double and triple layered drywall? And then how do you control the loss of noise control through the newly created holes? Is the ductwork that you installed within the soffet for air conditioning or is it for routing the wires?

Are wires run before drywall is put up as this is now an unfinished room in the middle of the basement. I can access all four walls from both sides and want to control the room by sound proofing as much as possible.

I am following the route the Sandman took in his build and need some advice on how he brought the wires into the room after drywalling the room and ceilings.

Please dummy it down and provide pictures if possible. The build has already begun as we have installed a new ac unit and heat pump ducting is routed we are now going to install a sub panel and route the wiring.

I know this may be a silly question, however, as I mentioned earlier, I have never taken on a project like this, but it is the route I must take to control costs. I will be hiring contractors to install the electrical (in fact my brother in law will likely be handling this portion) but I want to make sure that only the holes required are made to route electrical.

Thanks in advance for any help you may provide, it will be greatly appreciated.

I will post pictures of the new build on another thread.

Semper Fi

Steve

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
Good questions. The penetrations are not as worrisome if they are a small diameter. So 2" conduit isn't a biggie.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.