AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finally moved my components into the basement. :)

But - I am getting a weird hum now, and I isolated it to any coax cable hooked up to the system, ie., if I plug in my sat cable to my sat receiver, which is plugged into my pre-amp, it hums. When I unplug it, it stops. I even get the hum if I plug my cable directly into the RPTV.

I tried to eliminate noise from happening by taking the advice of using a different circuit for the RPTV and the components.

I have tried the following: (Some of which was before I figured out it was a coax issue)

a) I moved the circuits around in the box.

b) I plugged my amp and pre-amp into different outlets.

c) Sat receiver into a different outlet.

Help! What could be causing this ANNOYING hum!?!?! Any suggestions?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After further research, this appears to be a ground loop. It looks like a ground loop isolator will fix the hum, but I would rather fix the source of the hum than put a "band-aid" on it.

What causes ground loop, and how can I fix the root cause? I also read that it could be related to the use of dimmers. My dimmer system is on a different circuit, could this still be the cause?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Kick out the breaker to the circuit with the dimmers on it and report back.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yep, that did it. What can I do about it?

·
Registered
268 Posts
If you dont feel perfectly comfortable with opening the circuit box up get an electrician to do this. Take off the cover and move the dimmer ciruit breaker one space up or down. Swap it with the one that is there. This will get the dimmers on the other phase and may solve your problem. If not you will may have to look into high quality dimming.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That did it! Thanks for the help. I thought for sure I did that earlier when I moved circuits around, but I must have swapped the other ones.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.