AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to put together a simple, clean, and affordable 5.1 home audio system. The kicker here is that I cannot run separate tower speakers and center channel for the front. I must use a LCR "soundbar" type speaker mounted below the the TV, a sub, and two rear satellites (if necessary). I will also need a receiver that is shallow in depth to fit in my cabinet, which is a slim currio cabinet with the doors removed and the back will be windowed around the receiver as necessary. There is not a lot of room between the unit and the wall to breath (couple inches), but the whole front is open.

Budget: I would like to do this for under $1000 and the cheaper the better, get creative guys!

Room: Here's the challenge. The TV is on a flat wall, with its centerline about 7' from the corner of the room with a fireplace on the other side. This is a 12' wall with flat ceilings. The room is open to the foyer, kitchen, dunning room, and kitchen eating area. ALL with 12' flat ceilings. It's an acoustical nightmare so no need to get too picky about sound quality. The rear satellites were pre-wired for the house and would be located on a builtin shelf above the kitchen about 10' in the air. Assuming I will angle them down towards the viewing location (my recliner).

Use: This is where we watch all our movies and we are currently just using the TV speakers. As you might have guessed from the house layout this is a great place for PARTIES! Therefore, we would love to be able to pump some music through Pandora or an ipod and get pretty loud. Surprisingly, it doesn't take much as even my wifes little portable ipod dock can be heard all throughout the house when turned up.

Well, that should do it. Very interested to hear your thoughts and suggestions.

P.S. I can try to post some pictures of the room if that will help any....

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So I have been looking around and thought I would throw out a few budget components I had found.

Receiver: pioneer VSX 520-k for around $200 maybe? ***edit*** looks like I would have to step up to the VSX-820-k to have ipod capability, which is a must. Still looks to be only around $200.

Subwoofer: BIC PL-200 lots of people like it bit it looks like it is a little over $300. Anything out there a little cheaper that is still good? O guess there is always the BIC H100 but I am hoping there is something more budget.

Speakers: DefTech SSA-42 is highly praised for $500 which might be money well spent for the main speaker(s). That doesn't leave anything for rears though.

Comments and suggestions welcome...

·
Registered
241 Posts
For the Bic PL200, you can go to ebay and do a best offer around $270 or so. The other one is the Lava subwoofer currently running a 5% off pre-order because it's out of stock. If you contact customer services on their website and let them know you are an AVSFORUM member, they'll also throw in 15% off.

Which sub is better? No idea.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Talked to the wife and looked at the rear speaker area and it looks like two directional in-ceiling (in-wall in this case) speakers would work well and be okay with the wife. I am thinking something like the Polk RC60i (~$90) or RC80i (~$140) in white. Any preference or other suggestions?

These rear speakers would be mounted in the wall about 10' in the air with the tweeters angled downward towards the viewing area. Do you think this would work okay?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts