AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Room size: small 10'x14' (rented, will move out in 6 months to a bigger place-but in all probability, I would never have a dedicated HT Room- dont think can afford that in SF for the next few years! :( - this system would always be in my living room)

Listening habit: movies (70%), Music(30%)

Budget $1000-$1500

This would be my first HT system - so have limited knowledge: My heart says NOT to get a HTIB, but I am not so sure. Would a HT system work well in a room as small as mine? Also, Given room size, I should probably go with 5.1, correct?

In music, I appreciate clean vocals. Also I want a system that delivers clean pristine sound rather than one that shakes the house. Thats a personal preference. However, when watching movies, I would like to have those sound effects shake me up(I am a movie buff :cool: ). Essentially I dont want to overpay for power.

a. What is the ratio of $ amount for receiver to speakers to woofer I should be looking at?

b. Is the following order correct: nice center and fronts, receiver, sub and finally surround. (I have an unopened box of KLH speakers sitting - I dont know what overtook me when I bid it on ebay - maybe I can use these for surround for a few months and put those couple of hundreds on center and front?)

I would appreciate a few pointers on where to get started - like a short list of receivers and front speakers I should be looking at. I can then read up the forum reviews and comparision on these, test it out at a B&M. I have spent the whole working day reading thru the forum, and I am beginning to understand a few things, but at the same time totally lost too :confused:

·
Banned
724 Posts
Will if your just starting off into home theater.

I would say get a home theater in a box.

When u buy a home theater in a box it will come with every thing,

like a receiver speakers and wire etc. thats were i first started untill i first turn it on and watch a movie on the sound sounded terrible. but i think it was the brand i got rca. anyway give that a shot.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I would not recommend a HTiB system if you have a budget of $1000 -1500.

I would take a look at smaller systems yes..but stay away from the HTiB stuff. Try looking at the Paradigm Cinema Series System. Great little HT system that will work just fine in your room. You can get 5.1 set up with a good receiver in your budget and it would knock the socks off any HTiB set up.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.