AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a NAD C370(which i happen to love to death!) and well lately for some reason, I've been hearing staticy noise from one of my channels when i turn the volume up or down. Now, i switched wires and speakers, and have found that neither of the two are the cause. This noise only happens when I'm turning the knob... it does not happen when the knob is stationary. So... the problem goes away. But I fear that that channel will eventually give out or lead to other problems, so I'd like to find out what it is exactly and what i should do. Any ideas? Ask as many questions as you like.

thanks!!!

BUBBAgums

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Most likely your volume control potentiometer (variable resistor) has gotten dirty or worn. That's why you only hear the noise while you're turning the knob. A temporary fix is, with the receiver OFF, rotate the knob to each extreme several times. This might help for awhile. It might be possible to clean the inside of this control using contact cleaner (available at Radio Shack) if you can get access from inside. It might also be possible to replace the potentiometer.

Good luck.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What if the problem occurs even when I'm using an using an external source (such as a soundcard) to vary the volume/gain? I'd really hate to get it repaired, because as we all know, repaired things usually don't work as well as they used too unless you do the work yourself (and that voids the warranty).

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Does the problem *only* occur when using your soundcard as the input source to your NAD C370? Then you need to determine if the problem is actually coming from your sound card. What happens with other input sources?

I'm not totally familiar with the NAD C370, but it looks from a photo like it has a motorized volume knob. Is the noise happening when you turn that knob, or when you vary the level provided by your sound card?

If you're able to narrow down the problem to the C370, and it's still covered under warranty, then you should not try to repair it yourself.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will have to try with another source.

However, the problem does not only occur when i use my soundcard to vary the volume. It happens on both ends.... when I use the knob on the amp and when I use the soundcard controls.

Thanks for the help!

BUBBAgums

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Boy that's weird. I can understand the knob causing this problem if the control were dirty, but that's unusual for a new amp. Plus, my guess is that this amp actually has a digitally controlled volume level and the know merely sets that digital level.

When you change the volume at your sound card, though, I would think the only noise produced would *have* to come from the sound card. In this case you're simply changing the level that your amp "sees", not actually changing any settings inside the amp, right? How is your sound card connected to the amp?

Definately try some different sources and let us know what happens.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.