AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
for 3 days now i have been noodling my new panny stb. i have a dlp projector. the detail on 1080 is stunning as long as it is a bright scene. on dark scenes or indoor scenes all blacks, blues, greys, etc are a blob of black. brightness control on the projector turns all these colors into a blob of grey but no detail seems to be there.

here is what i have tried:

- thought the cable was too long (50' good quality vga) so i ran separate rg6 runs with breakout cables. no change.

- thought that since my projector is a business dlp projector it might have crappy Y/Pr/Br input so i connected all 5 cables and switched the panny over to rgb. the projector will not synch. it tries then loses it like maybe the signal is too weak.

picture looks GREAT coming through the same wire from my HTPC. is it possible i need some type of component booster amp? what could be wrong?

greg

------------------

-------------------------

Stealth Theater - PIII 1ghz/radeon dTV scaler, 550 Mhz/3DFusion dvd, Compaq MP2800 DLP, 45 x 80 screen, Lex DC1, Sunfire sub, Carver Amps, JBL in walls

·
Registered
132 Posts
Greg, Talk about coincidence! I was thinking through the same problems that I've been having when comparing PQ from my HTPC and Dish 6000 HD receiver.

Fortunately I have RGB gain controls on my NEC 6020 switcher. So rather than crank up the brightness and suffer washed out blacks, I increased the RGB gains and what a difference! Good greyscale, real blacks and more 'punch' to the overall PQ. Now I can keep brightness and contrast at normal levels on my projector and make whatever adjustments I need to the video overlay on my Radeon-equipped HTPC.

Rob.

·
Registered
540 Posts
robhichs... I know that adjusting the contrast level too high can shorten the life of your system... does boosting the gain have similar effects? I was playing with my gain and bias adjustments the other day and the picture looked great (by the way, I have a plasma, not a projector).

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so this is great to hear. i was looking at an extron "peaking amplifier" to help this problem. it has a video bandwidth of 250Mhz. i assume this is high enough for 1080i. does anyone know?

greg

------------------

-------------------------

Stealth Theater - PIII 1ghz/radeon dTV scaler, 550 Mhz/3DFusion dvd, Compaq MP2800 DLP, 45 x 80 screen, Lex DC1, Sunfire sub, Carver Amps, JBL in walls

·
Registered
132 Posts
Ihamp, Yes it is true that cranking up the contrast (white level) on an uncalibrated display can take its toll over time. However in my case, increasing the RGB gain before it reaches the projector simply results in a stronger, healthier signal allowing me to keep the brightness and contrast levels in normal parameters.

Greg, 250 mhz is plenty for HD signals.

Rob.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.