AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an AV710 hooked to my Yamaha receiver via spdif. I've read everrything on the av710 and mostly what i gathered is "this will work" and "no it doesn't" I'm experimenting right now with ac3filter. Here is my problem: in zp I have to add a manual graph for ac3filter to work. ac3filter isn't listed there. Can someone please tell me how to add these manual graphs!

I thought about using asio4all via winamp. But there is no option to use winamp in zp.

Also if anyone has the av710(not reflashed to prodigy) working with spdif passthrough let know. I'm currently using 3.10a drivers and might check out the 3.10b drivers since some people had more luck with those.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok, check this out: if I play the file from the begining like it was disc, get to the menu, hit play- no Dolby Digital. If I play the first main movie file, it jumps all over plays some spanish(?) and still no DD. BUT, if I play the file with the menu, then play the first main movie I get DD?! Also if play just the menu file it's not the same menu I get when iplay the movie from the beginning. At least I can pass DD, Although it can passed and still not be bitperfect, unlike DTS, corect?

·
Registered
913 Posts
you post is confusing.

to use spdif from a soundcard to your reciver while playing dvd's,a couple of things must happen.

you must configure your sound card for spdif passthrough. this is done with the software provided by the sound card company.

second, you must set your dvd playback software to output the dvd audio via the spdif..i have no clue how to accomplish this in your software, as i use powerdvd. with powerdvd, it involves a change in the system registry.

finally, you should set your receiver inpujt to spdif, and typically, set your receiver to decode the spdif signal in the manner you wish.

the receiver should display a icon or lettering that indictes it is receiving a DTS signal from the htpc.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you think my post is confusing then you know how I feel:) Explain to me why the order in which I play files changes whether DD is sent to my receiver! Baffling.

FYI, the soundcard software has a toggle to use spdif output. I use powerdvd audio decoder(via zp) with "spdif passthrough" checked. I now know it can pass DD, although I've still to figure out why it is unpredictable. And I'm still not sure if it is unmolested signal. Any input from av710 owners would greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
471 Posts
I've had success using DScaler for pass through, it seems to alwways work. I also have a Yamaha receiver. HS is absolutely correct in what he says. In your SoundCard software you need to configure it for a pass through (look for device control). On my card as well (an Audigy 2, so sue me) I find that I need to pass through at 96kHz or I get synch issues, which is frustrating as I need 48kHz for music playback.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So you use Dscaler as the audio decoder in zp? The Via control panel only has a option for spdif output, this is not the same as passthrough necessarily. But I do have it checked.

I have had DD to go to my reciever, it's just weird that sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. The order I play the dvd files seems to affect this. Maybe a setting in zp or the Via control panel is changing without me knowing. I'll check into this closer.

Also if my reciever gets DD does this mean it is bitperfect? Or is this only true for DTS?

·
Registered
471 Posts
It does sound like you know what you're doing with the software. I see the av710 has an optical out, and I have to wonder if you're passing PCM over the DD stream. I never had much success with optical out from the PC. I used to have some issues with the optical input to my receiver from a stand alone player. It was kinda weird in that I had to unplug the receiver at times to get it to run, turning it off and on didn't correct it. The RCA-type connector is much more stable in this respect. Just to be sure, does the DVD Languages submenu in ZP list as running the DTS/DD stream?

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I feel stupid. There are 2 places in zp to select spdif for powerdvd. One in decoder selection and a another in the external tab. Missed one:)

Still think it's strange I could trick it into passing DD by messing with the order I played files in. Still not sure about bitperfect though, gotta work and won't have time to test for a day or 2.

I checked the laguages submenu(not real sure what you mean) and under audio it's not checked but with "process default language" and "AC3" greyed out. If you are referring to my reference to spanish, that was because (I think) I just opened the main movie file and it skipped back forth between english and spanish constantly. And all over the place in the movie. Never seen that before, but my fault for not opening the right file and playing it like it was dvd in a drive.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.