AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Broadcast flags will seriously ding your HDTV fun.

Anyone with an interest in HDTV does not want this legislation to make it.

By following the link here it will lead you to the easiest way to send a letter to your congressman I have ever seen.

Just fill in a few fields and the web script will send a letter for you to the correct representative.

http://action.eff.org

Would be nice to get this stickied...

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Yeah! Keep the good programming on Pay-TV, where only some people can afford it. :)

Seriously, though, if the BF could be made to work like the anti-copy flags on CD and DAT, where they can be "Copy Freely", "Copy Once" and "No copy", and the providers would generally use "Copy Once" (meaning you could make a copy....say, to a tape or PVR.....but couldn't copy THAT copy), I think it would be a good thing.

As it is now, producers are afraid that anything first-rate will just be copied, re-copied, and re-copied again. Check out your local Best Buy, and see how much money the producers of TV programming stand to make with DVD Boxed Sets of nearly every hit they ever made. Then, imagine the paranoia of the movie studios, who spend a whole lot more to produce a feature film.

BF may be inevitable if broadcasters want to show the best programming from the studios. Perhaps it would be in everyone's best interest to demand a little flexibility in what that flag really does.

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
Quote:
Seriously, though, if the BF could be made to work like the anti-copy flags on CD and DAT, where they can be "Copy Freely", "Copy Once" and "No copy", and the providers would generally use "Copy Once" (meaning you could make a copy....say, to a tape or PVR.....but couldn't copy THAT copy), I think it would be a good thing.
It is not really just a question of what the flag would allow. The real cost of the BF is that in order to enforce it you must enforce "robustness rules" thus increasing the cost and complexity of all receiving equipment and setting up an approval process for which technology can be manufactured. This ends up giving Hollywood a veto power over new technology.

- Tom

·
Registered
675 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenglish
Keep the good programming on Pay-TV...
Can you point me to some pay-tv programs that dominate the ratings? The major networks dominate in what the average person considers good programs. I don’t see how a broadcast flag will do anything but inconvenience legitimate viewers.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Quote:
You have a great deal more trust in the content providers than I do. I don;t know that there's any evidence to support the assertion that content providers would prefer to use "Copy Once" instead of "copy never".

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Ken,

You seem to be making a lot of assumptions about the good will of corporate Hollywood. Do you think these are reasonable, given the documented paranoid history of Hollywood and big media in general? I don't.

Or is it possible that since you work for "them", you have bought into the company line? I understand how that could happen, since it is very likely the people you work with are mostly very good folks. And of course, they would never do anything like that, right?

Think about it.

I have, and I signed up for the petition.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Quote:
Seriously, though, if the BF could be made to work like the anti-copy flags on CD and DAT
That would be good. I like the anti-copy flags on CDs, because they don't work at all. (Maybe they work in standalone CD recorders, but none of my computer-based rippers honor them.)

Quote:
BF may be inevitable if broadcasters want to show the best programming from the studios.
Yeah, because the broadcast networks have never aired Hollywood movies in HD yet, in the absence of the BF. Oh, wait, they have.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Is anybody out there dumb enough to think that Hollwood would just take its ball and bat and go home with it? If they HAD to run movies as Copy Once on HBO after making money on them at the movie theater, over pre-recorded discs, and over Pay-per-View they certainly would because the money it would bring them while small would still be more than the miniscule amount of money that they would make if they didn't.

Hollywood's problem is they think by cutting people out from recording on HBO that they'll FOCE them to buy MORE HD-discs. They will sell SLIGHTLY more by doing this--but most people will just find other things to do! If more people record movies after the whole world has seen them those recording enthusiasts will most likely be more interested in movies and WILL buy more HD-discs, DVDs, and will go to the movies more often! Hollywood is cutting off its nose to spite its face.

Is reduction of piracy good? Yes! Should Hollywood make money on its product? Of course! Should they make what they think is more by restricting Copy Once Recording? Absolutely NOT! HD Recording is good for Hollywood and for HD recording enthusiasts! The broadcast flag is retarded because it uses a nuclear weapon to swipe at a fly. Kill flies but don't use a nuclear weapon like the broadcast flag to do it. Not only is it lethal to recording, but it is very crude--you know how crude it is--just look at the 89 trillion post at the HD recording forum about problems recording--the broadcast flag is a FARCE!

·
Registered
669 Posts
call your congressman, I have, and everybody needs to. Otherwise our atsc tuners will

be useless and we will have no personal use rights. Don't let Hollywood own you!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.