AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My PS3 is set to ouput at 1080p. On my 1080p HDTV's information/display screen, it shows the PS3 inputing a signal of 1280x720 @ 60hz. How come when I have the TV at 1:1 pixel mapping, the 720p picture fills in the entire screen? If the TV detects the signal at 720p and its on 1:1 pixel mapping, shouldn't the picture have black borders and NOT fill up the entire screen?

Is it because the PS3 upconverts 720p to 1080p (which is what I have it set to)? That would explain it but why does my HDTV say the incoming signal is 720p?

·
Registered
12,175 Posts
I'm not sure what you're expecting, but as far as I know a 1080P display will only display in 1080P. The final picture of any source is upconverted internally by the set if necessary to achieve this. What your HDTV tells you to be the resolution however is the signal it is receiving before this final conversion takes place (i.e. 720P source).

The PS3 will only send out a signal that you allow it to in the PS3 system display menu, what your display will accept, and whatever is possible by the game itself. The PS3 won't convert the game resolution like it does for DVD movies. The game itself (programmed by the developers) sends out the resolution at a minimum of 480P (480i for PSOne/PS2 titles) based on the factors I mentioned above.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I understand that my TV will have a final output of 1080p regardless of signal, BUT since I'm forcing 1:1 pixel mapping, shouldn't I have a 720p picture with black bars?

So the PS3 doesn't upconvert 720p games?

·
Registered
12,175 Posts
It only upconverts (or downconverts for 720P games shown on older 1080P HDTVs) what the game tells it to do. The game has to be programmed to show whatever resolutions you are looking for.

·
Registered
844 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineapple /forum/post/14198127

My PS3 is set to ouput at 1080p. On my 1080p HDTV's information/display screen, it shows the PS3 inputing a signal of 1280x720 @ 60hz. How come when I have the TV at 1:1 pixel mapping, the 720p picture fills in the entire screen? If the TV detects the signal at 720p and its on 1:1 pixel mapping, shouldn't the picture have black borders and NOT fill up the entire screen?

Is it because the PS3 upconverts 720p to 1080p (which is what I have it set to)? That would explain it but why does my HDTV say the incoming signal is 720p?

Pineapple,

I noticed this while playing COD:4. It should automatically detect this, but for some reason, doesn't with some discs. Go into your display settings on the Xross Media Bar. Do a manual settings tweak, un-checking everything BUT 1080P. That should fix it for you. Now check your info banner on the TV.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts