AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hello. So I got a subwoofer very cheap, and it was rattling at higher volume. I tought it was the membrane, so I got a brand new one much much better. Same story, subwoofer rattling. So I took out the membrane when it was playing, and when it's out, it's not rattling, playing perfectly!! What's the story? All my coil wires are not rubbing against my membrane. Is it because the air can't get out easily, and is cumulated in the boxed, pushing the membrane? What should I do? 

I will apply a few pictures of the subwoofer.

·
Banned
16,232 Posts
By membrane you appear to mean driver from your pics? Have you tried to localize the rattle with the driver mounted in the cabinet? It could be a defective cabinet but since you've had the problem with two subs I wonder if isn't something near the sub or if the sub itself isn't sitting firmly on the floor. Since it appears you have a bare wood floor, did you try putting something under the sub like a piece of foam or carpeting?

What sub is that?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Yes, driver from the pics. I could not localise the rattle at all, but when I get the driver closer to its place where it should be, the rattling starts. It's nothing near the sub, as you can see I had it on the chair playing. I even held it in my hands to see, and it still has the same problem. I also tought that maybe I should seal it with silicon, but Im worried this will still be going on. I also tought of cutting that long vent, so it's shorter, I don't know if that would help either, or applying the walls with some acoustics... it's was some wharfadale subwoofer, but I got this new driver for it (Focal 25 A1).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

By rattle I mean, that its a noise like I would put a bit of paper into the vent. It's kind of a farting sound, I don't know how to say it.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Yes it definitely sounds like port shuffling. You said you replaced the subwoofer on this box, I am no expert but I don't think it's as easy as just finding a Nother sub woofer that fits the whole putting it in there. That sub woofer might require a different port dimension and that is why you're getting the noise. It looks like a very nice and beefy sub woofer which is probably moving a lot more air than your previous sub woofer.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
[te name="cessna1466u" url="/t/1525209/help-subwoofer-rattling-when-putting-into-cabinet#post_24553177"]Yes it definitely sounds like port shuffling. You said you replaced the subwoofer on this box, I am no expert but I don't think it's as easy as just finding a Nother sub woofer that fits the whole putting it in there. That sub woofer might require a different port dimension and that is why you're getting the noise. It looks like a very nice and beefy sub woofer which is probably moving a lot more air than your previous sub woofer.[/quote]

The thing is that the original subwoofer made the same noise. This one first perfectly even with the whole for screws. So If the original had the same problem, and this has it too, why would that be the case? What is port chuffing btw?

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Port chuffing is the noise the air makes when it travels through your ports. Is this subwoofer the same one you replaced, meaning it was the same kind of Focal sub, or what it the original sub that came with the box that was making the noise and you replaced it with this one?

Here is the data from Focal regarding this subwoofer. Take some measurements of the box on the outside, and the port and post them back here and we can compare.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

The original subwoofer, I meant, was Wharfadale, the same brand as the box. It was there from factory. And it made that noise too. It was also 4Ohm thats why I got the focal 25 a1 which is 4 ohm too. The port is the vent ? (the whole that air passes through) Sorry I am not great in this type of English terminology as I'm not native English speaking

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

HxWxD is 300x300x300 

The vent or port is about 65mm in diameter and is 160mm long

and my receiver is Pioneer VSX-923

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
It looks like the port is too small, the box size is about right but the port is about 1.5" too small and 3" too short. When at low volumes does it do it as well? Or is it only when you raise the volume?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It Doesnt make sense because it wouldnt do that noise with the original driver I had before the focal one. And when I put my earlier close to the membrane when Playing, I can hear that noise from membrane(when Its in cabinet) , and less of that noise from port.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sorry for autocorection on my phone, When I put my ear* close to membrane the farting seem to Come out of there.

·
Banned
16,232 Posts
You said earlier the original made the same noise...post 8. Is the cone or surround on the driver torn or something? If you press on the driver's cone with your fingers and move its suspension do you hear any noise? You sure the cabinet itself isn't buzzing?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Yes original made same noise, but I meant that it would not make that noise if the port was bad. Because it was designed to be for that first driver I had. And no, it is nothing with the membrane, as it is perfectly new and as I said, when I take it out of the cabin it plays perfectly. I am sure the cabinet itself isn't buzzing. I had a Denon sub, that had same problem, but a bit of cardboard paper was sticking out from the port and as the air passed through it, it made that farting noise. But this was from the port, in this problem I can also hear it in or under the membrane when playing. I searched inside the cabin for anything, I also took out that white acoustics that's inside. I used tape to tape the cables on to the inside of the cabin. Nothing works. 

I am still thinking that the air cumulates inside the cabin, causing the membrane to do that. Because I feel very little air coming out of the port when playing. I don't know if it makes sense tough.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Have you modified the box at all, added stuffing or moved the wires from one place to the other. Also, could the box have a crack somewhere? What about noise coming from your receiver, could the receiver have a ground loop problem? Kind of like engine noise in a car radio.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts