AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New HTPC build. There is power; the system fan is whirring. But the CPU fan does not. There is some power getting to the CPU fan; it starts to budge and then stops.

Gigabyte MA785GMT-UDH2 Motherboard

I don't get the beeps when I try to power up so I cannot get to the BIOS.

·
Registered
134 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by saukriver /forum/post/18218982

New HTPC build. There is power; the system fan is whirring. But the CPU fan does not. There is some power getting to the CPU fan; it starts to budge and then stops.

Gigabyte MA785GMT-UDH2 Motherboard

I don't get the beeps when I try to power up so I cannot get to the BIOS.

Did you hook up both power wires to the motherboard.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Odd as this may sound I have an Intel based mobo that displays the exact same symptoms when the transceiver for my logitech keyboard/mouse combo is plugged in. Perhaps try removing all the usb devices and reboot..

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I hooked both power wires to the motherboard.

I am worried that the CPU is not seated correctly and/or I should replace the thermal paste. How do you do that?

·
Registered
134 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by saukriver /forum/post/18219174

I hooked both power wires to the motherboard.

I am worried that the CPU is not seated correctly and/or I should replace the thermal paste. How do you do that?

Was both wires hooked up before or did you just hook them up?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Both power wires (20+4 and the 2x4 to the CPU) have been hooked up the entire time. The CPU fan just twitches, and I get no beeps/post.

·
Registered
389 Posts
How much RAM are you using? Try it with one stick, and make sure it, and all, are full seated. A bad thermal paste job won't keep it from booting, just surviving.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Before messing with the processor, I'd verify the power/reset/lcd wires from the case are properly attached to the motherboard. If everything is correct, I'd then try a different power supply.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have 2 sticks of DDR3 RAM. Each is 2GB.

Tried it with 1 stick of RAM. Tried it with completely different RAM. Same result: CPU fan twitches, and there is no signal.

The fan on the case runs fine.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Disconnect all devices (hard drives, optical drives, etc) leaving only the following, then try rebooting the system:

PSU

Motherboard

CPU (and CPU fan)

1 stick RAM

Monitor/Display

Have you tried reseating the HSF? Would you happen to have an alternate cooler available?

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
You get no beeps, but did you install a speaker? I'm pretty sure that my GM785 doesn't have a speaker onboard. It is possible it is booting but you are getting no video and the cpu isn't warm enough to require the fan to run. Are you using onboard video or a discrete GPU.

BB

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Bigbird999,

Hmmm.

Very, very likely that our house if too cold so that the CPU is not warm enough to require the fan to run. Good thought.

I have reset the CMOS.

I did not install speakers. I am using the onboard video.

I get no signal. I cannot get to the boot menu and/or see anything on screen. Suggestions?

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Just to be clear I mean a system speaker, about 50 cents at a pc store, not speakers for audio. It attaches to your power switch header and gives you beep codes that help troubleshooting. Older PC generally came with them.

What display are you using? Connected by VGA or DVI/HDMI? Do you have an old VGA monitor that you could hook up for setup? If you are going to an HDTV via DVI/HDMI it may not support the default startup resolution.

BB

edit: Most Bios default to 640x4890 VGA so start there. This assumes I am correct about it booting, but you not being able to see the display.

BB

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Final thought for the evening. I just recalled that when I was buying this MB at Fry's there was a returned box with the same MB that said "No Video. Needs video card." I didn't buy the returned box, but I bet I got a new MB with the very same problem.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by saukriver /forum/post/18219392

I have 2 sticks of DDR3 RAM. Each is 2GB.

Tried it with 1 stick of RAM. Tried it with completely different RAM. Same result: CPU fan twitches, and there is no signal.

The fan on the case runs fine.

Try sticking the ram in the white slots, if you read the manual it may have miss lead you...

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Maybe check the CPU socket for bent pins it's easy to do with the Intel boards. It's the one design I just don't like because it's to easy to damage the pins whether your placing the cpu or the heat sink. And if that is the case Frys won't let you return a damaged item, but it's a fix that can be done with a magnifier and some tweezers. I hope that's not the case....

First thing is take it out of the tower and put it on box that came with your mobo this will eliminate any neg grounding. Do not use the the anti static bag underneath the board because it's conductive.

VGA

One stick of Ram (try all slots if you have to)

Proper seating of the CPU

Mobo on top of box

If everything looks good no bent pins etc then it should post, but now you got me thinking neg grounding possibly a stray stand off causing the grief.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts