AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have spent the last five hours reading up on every projector comparison and spec thread/website I could possibly find and I am still at a loss for how to accurately and quantifiably compare these two projectors that are currently selling for the exact same price.

They are the Optoma HD20 and the ViewSonic PRO8100. They are both around the same cost currently on Newegg.

You are saying "Hey idiot they are completely different... one is lcd and one is dlp and and and"... yes that is my problem!

The room I am using has fair light control but will still have some ambiant light during the day so the 1000 lumens on the viewsonic may be a problem - then I read that LCD projectors in reality are much brighter even with a lower lumen rating.

The viewsonic seems to have a ton more features as far as the unit itself is concerned but is the picture going to be as good? Lamp replacement seems about the same. Placement of the unit will be difficult since the ceiling is vaulted (meaning I only have a beam every 3 feet to place it on).

So basically I am lost and confused and figured this kind forum could help me out. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is it noticeable for the extra 300 dollars? Especially in the brightness area and the lamp replacement cost - I am a student atm and dispensable income is a factor all considered.

Thank you MM! I appreciate the recommendation.

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,840 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldoff /forum/post/19553184

Is it noticeable for the extra 300 dollars? Especially in the brightness area and the lamp replacement cost - I am a student atm and dispensable income is a factor all considered.

Thank you MM! I appreciate the recommendation.

Yes it most assuredly is worth it. $1000.00 more? No. $300.00 more? You betcha, because that difference can spell the difference between success and "less than successful" results on several fronts.

·
Registered
121 Posts
have to agree with MississippiMan here, in a room with limited placement options lenshift is a must and the epson 8350 or maybe an 8100 if you can find a good deal on it is the best option for an inexpensive projector with lenshift. Also in terms of total cost, epson has taken the remarkable step of actually warrantying the bulbs based on life expectancy (so if bulb dies before the 4000 hours or x years (or whatever the expected life is) they just replace it) no other manufacturer does anything like that, and if you use the bulb a lot it might mean you get 1 free bulb which more then makes up for the added cost over the viewsonic.

·
Banned
9,076 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkresh /forum/post/19555753

have to agree with MississippiMan here, in a room with limited placement options lenshift is a must and the epson 8350 or maybe an 8100 if you can find a good deal on it is the best option for an inexpensive projector with lenshift. Also in terms of total cost, epson has taken the remarkable step of actually warrantying the bulbs based on life expectancy (so if bulb dies before the 4000 hours or x years (or whatever the expected life is) they just replace it) no other manufacturer does anything like that, and if you use the bulb a lot it might mean you get 1 free bulb which more then makes up for the added cost over the viewsonic.

The viewsonic is not added cost. The viewsonic currently sells for $300 cheaper.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts