AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the goal is to keep the project under $300 while attaining decent HT (non-musical) bass. this would be my very first DIY HT sub project and my first enclosure design. i've done a couple car audio vented enclosures but using manufacturer box designs.

i like the idea of the vertical standing sonotube... just to be different from standard boxes. so, i'm leaning toward that.

driver would be the dayton DCS380-4 15". SVC @ 4ohm. $83 or so. seems like an acceptable driver given my budget.
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/psho...95-470&scqty=1

according to winISD "optimum" calcs, i'd be looking at a 16.8cuft enclosure. i plan to tune for 17hz. with a 24" diameter sono, it would need to be 5' 4" long to achieve 16.8cuft and requires a single 3" port to be 1.7" long. acoustic power calcs to be about 1.1.

i plan to go with a dayton sa240 240rms @ 4ohm plate amp.

parts would be about $200. tube, MDF for caps, etc should be around my $300 limit. am i on the right track?

as a noob, the enclosure calcs seem "off" to me. is 16.8cuft really accurate for a single 15" driver? is a single 3" port 1.7" long really correct? did i enter something wrong?

i'm using the online ISD calculator pages

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
i played with calculations more and with an 8" port, length jumps up to ~22" length for 17hz. more what i was expecting

does anyone have a suggestion for target Fb? is 17hz too low for this driver and limited power? (yes, i'll mod the amp to defeat the 20hz filter) should i shoot for something in the mid/upper 20s?

·
Registered
433 Posts
With a Xmax of 8.4mm there are better choices. Mach 5 Audio MJ-18M would be one. $155 shipping included. Thet are presently sold out but would definitely be worth the wait. Model it in 10 cu.ft. tuned to 18 hz, input 300 watts (Bash 300) and compare it to the Dayton.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
while i appreciate suggestions... if i wanted to spend double on the sub, i would have definitely chosen something higher end from ED, AA, RE, etc

the bash 300s does seem like a better deal than the dayton sa240 and it's only ~$30 more. thx.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts