AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Seriously, look at projector central, obviously search here in the forun.

------------------

Jeff

Currently - Zenith 7" CRT, 80x60 1.3 gain screen

Soon to be - 107x60 1.3 gain...with ?Seleco 250 with Panamorph or "cheap" 9" CRT

·
Registered
93 Posts
Nick - I was in the same boat as you about 6 weeks ago. I've spent a bunch of time reading this forum and a lot of the other ones. The bazillion (or so) posts have helped me a LOT in getting to the bottom of my own personal configuration "quest".

I second the other reccs: go checkout projectorcentral.com - they've got some current reviews. Also at thebigpicturedvd site. (Don't know what AVS has in way of reviews, so I hope they don't mind me mentioning those other guys!)..

After reading for the past 6 weeks, and looking at a lot of demos, I'm pretty sold on the Sony 10HT. It's a 16:9 (native) LCD - one of only 2 boxes in the industry that has this right now, and the prices are dropping like a rock on these guys with the "new" box (11HT) coming out imminently. Word has it the 11HT will be sold only near list at first, as Sony is being very restrictive with who they allow to carry it. This strikes me as price fixing in a way, and I'm not gonna participate, unless the box is WAY better than the 10.

LCDs have their good (price, decent picture) and bad (somewhat washed out colors, finicky machines prone to dust, possible dead pixels, etc) points. I don't personanally know as much about DLP and D-ILA, except that people have complained about high cost and something called the "rainbow effect". Both of these things were enough to keep me in the LCD camp.

If you look around the Web, you'll find that the 10HT is one of THE (IMHO) "most used" and mature, proven boxes out there. There's quite literally web page after web page, and review after review - not to mention a TON of "tweaking & tuning" info to get the best possible pic out of the box. That's one of the things what swayed me over to this choice as I never want to be "bleeding edge". Far as I'm concerned, the 10HT is "good enough" to give me what I want and won't break the bank. (There is also a second box - the Sanyo PLV-60, but it's $2K more than the 10HT right now, and I was not convinced the picture was that great on the demo I saw!) Net net, I figure that for around $4-5K, I can get a good 10HT, use it for 3 years until the technology REALLY evolves, and be happy while I wait for the "ultimate" box and lower prices.

Whatever you decide - good luck. This is a GREAT place to share & exchange info.

Jim

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hi all !!!

I'm looking for a LCD, DLP ore what ever !!! but what models am i looking for, when all i need is a good one for home cinema !!!!.....anyone please give me some good model names......And keep in mind that i'm not loaded with mony !!! sooo cheep "used" models !!!! well just good models...that can be buyed used !!! thanks my friends

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.