AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Toshiba 42RV53OU last April and just this morning, I noticed a big black line across. Dead pixels?

I'm so upset right now. I don't wanna go thru so much hassle to fix this. I don't think Best Buy would do anything about this right? It's passed the 30 days and I didn't buy their warranty. So now I have to call Toshiba? Ugh!

I've heard so many stories about ppl taking their TV to be repaired only to come back worse than before with more problems.

·
Registered
41 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyser05 /forum/post/14178506

I bought a Toshiba 42RV53OU last April and just this morning, I noticed a big black line across. Dead pixels?

I'm so upset right now. I don't wanna go thru so much hassle to fix this. I don't think Best Buy would do anything about this right? It's passed the 30 days and I didn't buy their warranty. So now I have to call Toshiba? Ugh!

I've heard so many stories about ppl taking their TV to be repaired only to come back worse than before with more problems.

see my post here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...3#post14126603

to put it simply, toshiba makes poor quality products and they won't stand behind them. if your set is out of warranty, you're stuck with it.

most likely, it's not dead pixels since they usually don't show up in a straight line. you have a defective LCD panel.

do as i did and fire off a letter to the consumer affairs office of your state's attorney general's office.

see if they can help you.

good luck.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The left half of the line is thicker than the right half.

I'm gonna have the TV for only 3 months next week.

So I should still be under the 1-yr warranty.

The warranty says they'd have an ASP check my TV.

So I checked their website and saw that they have a few close by to my place. http://support.toshiba.ca/support/ceg/contactus.asp

I doubt I can just call up the ASP. So I called Toshiba Canada, but I only get a recording msg that they're only open M-F. So I guess I'll have to wait till next week to get in touch with them.

Or should I just call the ASP? No, right? Coz they should be setting me up with the ASP and such.

Ugh! I don't like doing this kinda things. It stresses me out like crazy.

·
Registered
4,671 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyser05 /forum/post/14178789

Or should I just call the ASP? No, right?

yes, right

Relax its still under warranty

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Sounds like you got delamination going on. Can you see the line when the TV is off and you look closely? That should be covered under warranty, if not then you want to keep all correspondence and write to www.consumerist.com , they get stuff done. You will also find info there to the head guys at Toshiba and you can email carpet bomb them with your problem.

The Better Business bureau is a joke so don't even bother with them.

Mosh~~

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
keyser05, As mentioned above, you are under warranty, don't worry, they'll take care of it. No need to run around to every complaint department as they will probably take care of it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks a lot for the responses.

The line is black, so I can't see it when the TV is off.

I really hope I don't encounter major headaches with this.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alright. Let me give an update on this.

So my closest Authorized Service Provider (ASP) picked up the TV on August 15th (I didn't get to take care of the TV until around this date. So around a month after I posted this). Alright, so they had my TV. They even picked it up at my place. They had a van with comforters and pillows. HAHA. Anyways... it worked. They appeared to be good people. Within a week, they told me that the panel had to be replaced. The wait for that **** took weeks. So I didn't get it back until after A MONTH! I can't really blame them as they're just doing their job. I can understand that they won't rush for the part. They'll just fix it when it arrives. I blame that on Toshiba.

So after a month, I have my TV back. It worked... for a bit. Used it for about an hr that day. Then the next day for another hr...THEN the power died. Called the ASP. They picked it up after 2 days (the earliest they could do it). This was last Friday, Sept. 12. I called em Tuesday and they told me they're waiting for the power supply. They told me it should arrive Wednesday and I could possibly see the tv back by this week's end. So I called them today and ****ing nada. Guy told me that based on the record on their computer the part still hasn't arrived and no work's been done to it OR there could be other problems with the TV.

So now I've been very patient and cordial throughout this whole thing. I haven't once got mad at any of the guys at the ASP. And they've been the same. But I'm now getting really frustrated. It's been more than a month for me WITHOUT MY BRAND NEW TV! I called Toshiba's customer service just to let them know of my situation. I was looking to ask for a replacement or a full refund. The lady was nice to me, but she's just the customer service. She told me I'd have to physically mail a letter to Customer Relations. Is that right? She said no e-mail. I'm gonna research this right now, but if anyone can help me out here.

I'm thinking of waiting to see what happens next week. See if I'll get it back. If not, I'll definitely pursue for some type of action here... more likely a full refund from Toshiba.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I got a new ps3 80 gig and it wouldn't play blue ray or any games I then notice a black line on my new 40-81 samsung I was told it wasn't the ps3 but i was wondering did you have a ps3 hdmi plugged into your ps3?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Go to BB and buy another TV, then return it within the 30 day return period. At least you'll have a TV to watch while your repair is ongoing.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by briansgi /forum/post/14701552

Go to BB and buy another TV, then return it within the 30 day return period. At least you'll have a TV to watch while your repair is ongoing.

If a person is able to afford to do that that's what I would do.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts