AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently found a FLURRY of these messages on my Lifetime 5040 w/200GB Seagate w/'13 Categories, 229 Replay channels, 218 recorded shows' (per DVArchive v3.2).

I diligently keep ~10-20 hours free on this unit (Living Room), so, IMHO, it's NOT an "Out-of-Disk-Space" problem.

They refer EXCLUSIVELY to 'Record-Once' programs - i.e. programs that (may) air multiple times per week that *I* specifically select ONE airing to record. Such as:
  • Burn Notice
  • Eureka
  • In Plain Sight
  • Leverage
  • Royal Pains
  • The Bill Engvall Show
  • The Cleaner

I've also seen this MUCH LESS OFTEN on my:
  • Lifetime 5040 w/80GB Maxtor w/'13 Categories, 140 Replay channels, 108 recorded shows' (per DVArchive v3.2).
  • Lifetime 5516 STOCK w/'12 Categories, 166 Replay channels, 149 recorded shows' (per DVArchive v3.2).

The ONLY other reference I found to this to-date was:

Quote:
Originally Posted by barmar /forum/post/16645660

I just noticed another thing that happened during this incident. None of my single-record shows were recording. When I checked my replay guide, they all said "This single-record program has nothing scheduled to record".

I was able to fix them by changing them to repeat recordings and then changing them back to single-record.

I tried this and it didn't work for me.

In fact, doing a FIND for some UPCOMING program(s) found the SAME EXACT NAME, TIME, CHANNEL!?! Changing to a 'Scheduled / Repeat' recording was successful. Changing back to a 'Record Once' again failed.

Anyone else seeing this?

Any ideas / suggestions???

·
Registered
1,318 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearToLand /forum/post/16917945

I recently found a FLURRY of these messages on my Lifetime 5040 w/200GB Seagate w/'13 Categories, 229 Replay channels, 218 recorded shows' (per DVArchive v3.2).

I diligently keep ~10-20 hours free on this unit (Living Room), so, IMHO, it's NOT an "Out-of-Disk-Space" problem.

They refer EXCLUSIVELY to 'Record-Once' programs - i.e. programs that (may) air multiple times per week that *I* specifically select ONE airing to record.

Anyone else seeing this?

Any ideas / suggestions???

I haven't seen this happen in years. In fact, I've never had it happen since myreplaytv dot com was turned off. The only time I ever got those messages occured when I sent a remote 'record once' command through the myrtv website, and either it didn't take, or it finally made it down a day late, and therefore had 'nothing to record'. Since I missed the airing, I left it at that. I was out of the country for a long period of time, and didn't discover the errors until I got home.

You seem to have a lot of activity on your RTV's. Have you considered looking at the to-do list, and seeing how each of the shows you wish to record are playing out?

It could be that you have too many 'overrides (Record this show anyway)' with your single-dot recordings, and the RTV doesn't know what to do when there are several conflicts.

Cheers!

-Doug

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Normally you should only see that message when the time has passed for that recording. That is, you shouldn't see that message for a show in the future...

One time recordings aren't supposed to care anything about the actual content that you scheduled. That is, they are basically manual recordings that keep the show information in addition to the manual recording information. So, if the show time happens to change, the single recording won't search out the show change, it will simply record the channel at the original show air time...

Anyway, I have a one time recording scheduled tonight for "Are you smarter than a 5th grader" that FOX decided to preempt with a rerun instead. I'm pretty sure that Replay will still show that it's going to record "Are you smarter than a 5th grader" versus saying that it has nothing to record. And, we'll see what it records. But, I have seen this before and I've never seen a one time recording not at least record something. As I said, a one time recording only says "nothing to record" if the program is in the past and there's nothing recorded for that channel...

Henry

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Just to follow up, the Replay scheduled to record the one time show of "Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader" did indeed record an hour at the time that show was scheduled to air even though that show didn't actually air at that time...

Did you check your messages to see if there is any indication of why your shows didn't record? Maybe there was a conflict or some other reason...

I know that Glenn uses one time recording all the time using the JIT scheduler in WiRNS and he says it works very well. So maybe you have something else going on?

Henry

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdonzis /forum/post/16920651

Normally you should only see that message when the time has passed for that recording. That is, you shouldn't see that message for a show in the future...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearToLand /forum/post/0

In fact, doing a FIND for some UPCOMING program(s) found the SAME EXACT NAME, TIME, CHANNEL!?! Changing to a 'Scheduled / Repeat' recording was successful. Changing back to a 'Record Once' again failed...

Yes, the time has passed. To clarify, using 'The Late Late Show...' as an example, it airs in the exact same time slot Tue-Sat. It failed to record on 07/29 and 07/31. There were no conflicts and nothing else recorded instead.

Nothing changes but the day - i.e. if I change the original 07/29 entry from 'Record Once' to 'Scheduled / Repeat', it finds all the upcoming shows. When I originally selected 07/29 for 'Record Once', it wouldn't have accepted it if there were conflicts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdonzis /forum/post/16920651

...One time recordings aren't supposed to care anything about the actual content that you scheduled. That is, they are basically manual recordings that keep the show information in addition to the manual recording information... So, if the show time happens to change, the single recording won't search out the show change, it will simply record the channel at the original show air time...

Unless I attempt to schedule a different show for that timeslot, get the conflict message and agree to override, the 'Manual Recording' should take place, even if the show name, time, etc... change in the Replay Guide. That's what's puzzling.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I still see this time to time. I have always attibuted it to the RTV crashing and somehow messing up the non-repeating records. I never noticed that any of them were scheduled remotely (e.g. MyReplayTV or DVA).

I have found that if the recording time hasn't passed, you can reset them by going into the "Advanced" window and exiting by pressing "Done".

FWIW.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearToLand /forum/post/16927262

Yes, the time has passed. To clarify, using 'The Late Late Show...' as an example, it airs in the exact same time slot Tue-Sat. It failed to record on 07/29 and 07/31. There were no conflicts and nothing else recorded instead.

Nothing changes but the day - i.e. if I change the original 07/29 entry from 'Record Once' to 'Scheduled / Repeat', it finds all the upcoming shows. When I originally selected 07/29 for 'Record Once', it wouldn't have accepted it if there were conflicts.

I guess I'm a bit confused, now! If you schedule a show for the future as a one time recording, it should just sit saying it is going to record that show in the future (it should says something like this channel is going to record blah blah on such and such a date). And, it should say that up until that time and date becomes present time...

So, I don't know if you are saying that you change it to a repeat recording and then back to a single recording BEFORE the air date/time? And, if you do change it before the air date/time, is it because it indicates that it is no longer going to record that show?

If you change it to a repeat recording AFTER it has aired and now says that this channel has nothing to record, then that certainly will allow it to record future episodes. But, if you change it BACK to a one time recording, then it definitely will go back to saying that it has nothing to record. Recording schedules keep their original creation information. That is, even when you create a repeat recording, you had to pick the original show that you wanted to record. Whenever you change a repeat recording to a single record, the one-time show that it says it is going to record is the original show that you chose to record repeatedly. So, whenever you change a repeat recording to a one-time recording, you will see it say that it is going to record the show airing on such and such a date and time, which is the original show that you programed the recording for. Changing to a repeat recording and having it show that it is going to record future episodes does NOT change its original show recording properties such that it now thinks that changing back to a one time recording will schedule it to record the first upcoming episode, rather, it reverts back to its original episode that it was going to record. Whether in the future or in the past, changing a show from one time to repeat and back to one time, when you change it back to one time it will show the same date and time that it is going to record as it did originally. So, you can't change a one-time recording's properties so that it will ever record any show other than the original one it was scheduled to record. All you can do is either change it to a repeat recording, in which case it WILL record future episodes, or simply delete the recording and program a new one-time recording for a future episode...

When you look at the recording guide with GuideParser (or GuideParser5) or DVArchive or whatever else, you can see these programmed recording properties. With show recordings (single or repeat), you simply can't change these properties. If a show time changes, then you have to create a new recording with that new show time. If it changes channels (stations, not that the station changes channel numbers, which it is supposed to handle seamlessly), then you have to create a new recording with that new channel...

So, if your problem is that you have one-time recordings scheduled in the past which say that they have nothing to record and you change them to repeat recordings, check that they say they are going to record future episodes, and then you change them back to one-time recordings and they say they have nothing to record, that's exactly how all show-based recordings work and are supposed to work...

Now, as far as WHY the ReplayTV doesn't record some times, I've certainly had that happen myself, and I usually have a message telling me why (did you check?). I think that there have only been a couple of times that something didn't record and I never figured out why...

And, by the way, the conflict resolver doesn't always work. First, I have seen plenty of times where I schedule a show which the conflict resolver should tell me there is a conflict and it doesn't. I've also seen times where it says I have a conflict and I tell it to record the specific show, and that show is still grey dot(s) or no dot(s) on the Channel Guide even though I told it to force recording of that show. But, there is the case where a show that you have programmed to record isn't scheduled on the channel guide when you originally schedule the one-time recording. Then the channel guide changes and a show that you have scheduled to record gets added at the same time as the one-time recording. The User Guide tells us that the ReplayTV resolves these type conflicts (that didn't occur when the show was originally scheduled) by recording the repeat recording over the one-time recording. So, even when I've had no message about why the show didn't record, I at least could find some other show that recorded and explained why. Like that the show airing right before the one that didn't record was originally scheduled to end on the hour such that there was no conflict, but then the channel guide changes such that the show right before now runs a minute past the hour and is in conflict with the show that didn't record. Because it airs first, it wins the conflict resolver. So, you have to look VERY CAREFULLY at what DID record to see if it makes any sense at all that it recorded something else, like that the show right before is 61 minutes, for example, or that something else recorded at the same time as the one-time recording was supposed to record...

Henry

·
Registered
262 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdonzis /forum/post/16928378

I guess I'm a bit confused, now!

Well, I may have misunderstood it too, but I'll try to explain my experience in similar situations again.

1. I set up x number of future, one-time recordings (through RTV and/or DVA).

2. The RTV unit crashes for whatever reason and reboots

3. Review the Replay Guide and see one or more entries with "has nothing to record at this time" for shows that still haven't aired.

4. Open the "Change Record Options" menu (check that the show time is still in the future)

5. Go to "Advanced Settings"

6. Select "Continue"

7. Select "Done"

This works for me. It seems that just getting RTV to update a show's properties clears the "nothing to record at this time" status. Maybe the approach ClearToLand uses with the switch from "This Show Only to repeated records has the same effect.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirebiter /forum/post/16929648

3. Review the Replay Guide and see one or more entries with "has nothing to record at this time" for shows that still haven't aired.

Now that you mention it, I think I have seen something similar myself. But, I can't remember when I went and editing the recording just to refresh it if it told me that something was conflicting and that's what happened or what. Quite honestly, I don't make a lot of one-time recordings, but I have certainly been disappointed in using them and having them not record from time to time. I have taken to just making repeat recordings and then turning them off after they record the one show that I wanted to record because I find the repeat recordings to be more reliable (although, I used a one-time recording to attempt to record the "Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader" that didn't air, so I guess it didn't matter if it recorded or not
)...

Henry

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirebiter /forum/post/16929648

Well, I may have misunderstood it too, but I'll try to explain my experience in similar situations again.
  1. I set up x number of future, one-time recordings (through RTV and/or DVA).
  2. The RTV unit crashes for whatever reason and reboots
  4. Open the "Change Record Options" menu (check that the show time is still in the future)
  5. Go to "Advanced Settings"
  6. Select "Continue"
  7. Select "Done"

#2 in Tirebiter's post "Rang-a-Bell", so, since Comcast recently 'disabled' ~14 analog channels, I removed them from my Channel Guide and increased my 'Free Space' from ~10-20 hours to ~15-25 hours.

I've also been VERY concerned since installing DVArchive v3.2 over the increased (i.e. hourly) check of 'Free Disk Space'. I don't know if or how this relates, BUT I have been hearing a LOT of DISK TRASHING on this unit (Living Room ReplayTV 5040 w/200GB Seagate HDD). I keep the '243-Zones CPU %' display on and it DOES go to 100% for extended periods and sometimes it CRASHES during these periods.

"Disk Trash / Crash / Reboot / "Nothing Scheduled to Record..." - Hmmm...

I haven't experienced a "Crash / Reboot / "Nothing..." recently with the increased 'Free Space' but, with the 'CPU %' displayed (and careful listening), I also know when to STOP PRESSING BUTTONS on the remote.

Finally, Tirebiter's method for getting the show back into the schedule (#4-7) did not work for me...

·
Registered
2,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearToLand /forum/post/16968438

Finally, Tirebiter's method for getting the show back into the schedule (#4-7) did not work for me...

Yeah, that was clear from your posts and certainly made me wonder what was different. Are your recordings for the future or the past when you can't get them to reschedule? The only time I've not been able to get a future post to reschedule when it's for the future is when I have a conflict. I find that manual records seem to cause some conflict problems where even though I tell the one-time recording to take precedence, the recording says not scheduled to record (I don't even get a grey dot, just nothing)...

Henry

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdonzis /forum/post/16968707

...Are your recordings for the future or the past when you can't get them to reschedule?

The future, of course!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdonzis /forum/post/16968707

...The only time I've not been able to get a future post to reschedule when it's for the future is when I have a conflict. I find that manual records seem to cause some conflict problems where even though I tell the one-time recording to take precedence, the recording says not scheduled to record (I don't even get a grey dot, just nothing)...

The first time I noticed it was when some SyFy show scheduled for 11:00pm - 12:00am said "Nothing scheduled to..." and doing a 'Find' discovered the Start Time had changed overnight to 11:01pm - 12:00am, IIRC. That shouldn't have mattered - it should have just started 1 minute early.

Using the results of the 'Find', the ReplayTV would gladly schedule ANOTHER (new) 'One-Time' Record for the revised period, no conflicts reported. Or, editing the original from 'This Show Only' also scheduled it and added the Red Dots. But, then switching the original back to 'This Show Only' went back to 'Nothing scheduled to..."

That's why Tirebiter's "Disk Trash / Crash / Reboot / "Nothing Scheduled to Record..." got me thinking...

I'll have to remember to try to keep at least 1 'This Show Only' always scheduled and then check it after any reboots, crash or normal.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearToLand /forum/post/16971077

The first time I noticed it was when some SyFy show scheduled for 11:00pm - 12:00am said "Nothing scheduled to..." and doing a 'Find' discovered the Start Time had changed overnight to 11:01pm - 12:00am, IIRC. That shouldn't have mattered - it should have just started 1 minute early.

Actually changing show times has a different impact on the Replay than changing the show that's airing at that time. It gets a bit confused on which show to show the red single dot on. When a different show is airing at the same time, it can still show a single dot in that time slot. Another example might be what happens if you scheduled a single recording for a show that airs 7:00 - 8:00 and then the show changes to air from 7:00 - 9:00? It would be incorrect for the channel guide to show a single dot on the show that is taking two hours of guide span since it is only going to record one hour of the two hours. Similarly, if you schedule a single recording for a two hour show and then they break it into two one-hour shows...

Anyway, I've had recordings scheduled for 8:00 - 9:00, for example, and then they pull this one minute stunt and the show air time changes to 8:01 - 9:00, for example, and the show doesn't record. But, the only time I had that happen, it was because I was also repeat-recording the show right before the single recording, and when the show right before changes from 7:00 - 8:00 to 7:00 - 8:01, now it is conflicting with the 8:00 - 9:00 one-time recording, so the one-time recording doesn't record. I've can't recall it ever happening when I didn' end up having a conflict for some reason...

Henry

·
Registered
554 Posts
This won't resolve your issue, I expect, but I was confused by a similar situation recently. With the digital transition, a few channels we receive had their station abbreviations changed in the channel guide listing, resulting in scheduled recordings for shows on these channels to report as "nothing scheduled." I had to add new scheduled recordings for all affected shows to get the Replay to start recording them again.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts