Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I'm a newbie who thought he'd figured it all out until I started reading the posts here. Like other posters, I'm having a home built. My builder only offers basic CATV and phone cabling. Thought I'd use my 23yrs Navy Electronics experience to the test and do it myself. As with most posters I'd like to have multi-zone/multi-source AV installation( 4BRMS, 2Bath(audio only), Den, FRM, DNGRM, Kit(audio only), Screened porch (audio only), Basement, Garage(audio only): for 13 zones).

I had thought that I'd start with modulated RF channels for video to start (because of $$) so I bought a CP SVM-24 and a CP DA-550HHD thinking I'd add another modulator later for camera's (I'd like to have 3, two outdoor 1 in). I also purchased 2000' of structured cable (2xRG6U quad-flex,2xCat5e), 4000' of Cat6, 2000' of 12 gauge speaker wire, and 1000' of "siamese" (or twin) quad flex RG6U.

For Audio I was going to go with the NuVo Concerto until I found out I couldn't buy and install it myself. I was hoping the keypads would control volume so I wouldn't have to worry about impedance matching, although this is a topic that is hard to find info on when searching for products. It seems like either everyones figured it out or no one wants to talk about it. (Different impedence when you have one or four zones accessing the same source).

After reading some posts, it looks like most recommend running component for video (5 RG6 not 2) and like russound products as a panecia. A friend who's in the whole home industry recommended control4 and doing everything digital over Cat cable but that doesn't seem stable yet.

Without going on forever (SORRY) does anyone have a suggestion for AV products that may satisfy my needs without breaking the bank (and that I can purchase)?

Thanks in advance to any and all!

Ed

·
Registered
716 Posts
I know Mike Bibby could probably spend all he wants on this stuff without breaking the bank, so it's all relative to your own personal budget.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by AI Limited
I know Mike Bibby could probably spend all he wants on this stuff without breaking the bank, so it's all relative to your own personal budget.
Yeah, I guess I should have been more specific about that. I can't afford Crestron or Elan etc. In fact my main goal right now is to get an idea of the equipment that I may eventually get (cause I can't afford it right now) so that I can properly wire for it.

Routing 5 RG6, 2 Cat 5e, 2 Cat 6 to all double gang boxes in every room + speaker wire and IR cable seems to be overkill and waste to me. I would like to have a solution in mind when I start.

BTW: Who is Mike Bibby?

Ed

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by popeyeswabby
For Audio I was going to go with the NuVo Concerto until I found out I couldn't buy and install it myself.
Says who???

You can buy it almost anywhere....even Amazon of all places.

As for what cables to run, that's difficult to advise without a clear plan of what you want and what you want to spend.

If you want simple composite video/audio/network/phone distributed to all your rooms then run at a minimum:

2 RG6

2 Cat5e or Cat6 (one for phone, one for network)

14/4 speaker wire to keypad locations (for whole house audio)

14/2 speaker wire from keypad to each speaker location

1 or 2 cat5e to each keypad location

1 Cat5 and 1 RG59 or RG6 to each surveillance camera location

1 Cat5e to front/back doors for door phones and/or doorbell integration

If you want to distribute HD/Component grade + digital audio to each room, then you need to invest in some high end equipment or run 5 RG6's to each room as you mentioned. Another alternative is to run the simple stuff and wait for the technology to emerge. Microsoft will likely evolve their media center extenders to stream HD across your Home Network using your cat5e/cat6 backbone. Supposedly the new Xbox 360 due in November and the new Longhorn version of Windows will move towards accomplishing this. Russound is also supposed to announce something at Cedia for possible HD distribution. And the group at C4 will probably follow suit.

Robert

Robert

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you Robert!

I couldn't believe Concerto was on Amazon, I just looked into buying it direct or from a retailer (like Myer Emco or Tweeter). Has anyone had experience with this product? I've heard class D amplifiers are far from perfect but I don't know of another affordable product that doesn't use D or H(?) or T(?) amplification.

My budget (

·
Registered
716 Posts
Quote:
BTW: Who is Mike Bibby?Ed
Sorry, I'm in Sacramento so I assume everyone follows basketball like they do in this city.

With regards to the wiring, what I'm doing is just picking two kinds and buying in bulk, for example Cat 6 and RG 6. I realize Cat 6 is overkill for some applications (doorbell) but I'm still saving money by not buying a roll each of cat 5e, cat 3, cat 5, and cat 6. Plus, I found Cat 6 for $60/1000' (350 MHz) so it can be reasonably priced. You can get good RG 6 for $100/1000' (I have a hookup/friend so it's more like $40-$50/1000').

If you want to future proof yourself with confidence, run conduit, but an easier (but less future proof) alternative is to run 6 RG 6 cables (1 extra) to areas that you will want HD. I plan on spending close to $50k but I'm only putting HD wiring in 4 or 5 locations out of about 10 video drops and 15 audio drops.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Quote:
Thanks also for setting me straight on the cabling. I think I was on the right track but got a little nervous. The Cat 5e/6 to the keypads is for IR data and/or digital audio?

Ed
Most multizone systems like Kustom/Nuvo, Russound, Xantech, Channel Plus, et al. use Cat5 from the controller to the wall mounted keypads. I ran two to each keypad to be safe, and it actually has come in use as of late. I originally installed 6 listening zones in a Kustom 6640, but recently bought an additional 6 zone Kustom amplifier to expand to 12 zones. Since I only ran two cat5s to 7 keypad locations, I'm removing the double size keypads and installing two single size keypads. That way, what used to be the Master BR, is now the Master BR and Master Bath in one keypad location. The Den, is now the Den and Outside Deck. The Office is now the Office and a Master Keypad....So, in those locations, the extra Cat5 worked perfect.

You could also use the 2nd cat5 at each location for Microphones, motion sensors, temperature sensors, and anything else you could come up with. I suppose you could even install a pinhole camera in your keypad.

Robert

·
Registered
716 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_b1228
Darn I thought I got a good deal at $72/1000' of CAT6! Where did you find that at?
Chris,

As luck would have it, I can't find the link (I thought I had bookmarked it, open mouth, insert foot) for the $59 cat 6. I did find it for $69 here...

http://www.shentech.com/pacarjutphip.html

But I swear I saw it for $59 in six different colors, I should've ordered some! (It was several weeks ago mind you, copper is a commodity)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you all for giving me such good advice. Sorry for my delay in answering. We had a big weekend. A lot of work was done on the house last week. Tried to post

a URL to the picture of the home but I haven't posted 5 times yet. Oh well. Next time.

AI Limited, did you purchase a 19" rack to terminate all of your connections?

Lots of cables, not sure a 42"/50" wall mountable will be enough. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Ed R.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.