AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm new to AVS and am nowhere near an audiophile, BUT I love music and am looking to buy some speakers. I have a Sony STR-DE975 receiver and just got a Pro-Ject turntable. I won't be using for tv/movies. I found a pair of vienna acoustic waltz speakers on Craigslist for $450. Owner has receipt showing they paid $2,200 a few years ago. Seems like a good deal, but I'm not sure. Assuming they're in good shape, will these speakers be good for the mains in a 2-way system? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
The Vienna Acoustics Waltz is only 3.5 inches thick and is designed to be wall-mounted. It is 4 ohms and only goes down to 70 Hz; very little bass.

It is from a company that makes quality products, but is a rather unusual design that might not be what you want. Look at the manual on it on the Vienna Acoustics website before you get into it too far.

Shipping might cost $150 to $200 also, so consider that.

For main speaker use, I'm not sure these would be the best thing unless you add a subwoofer to use with them. They really were intended for use with a subwoofer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toreaux  /t/1419837/help-thoughts-on-vienna-acoustic-waltz-needed#post_22210338

Hello, I'm new to AVS and am nowhere near an audiophile, BUT I love music and am looking to buy some speakers. I have a Sony STR-DE975 receiver and just got a Pro-Ject turntable. I won't be using for tv/movies. I found a pair of vienna acoustic waltz speakers on Craigslist for $450. Owner has receipt showing they paid $2,200 a few years ago. Seems like a good deal, but I'm not sure. Assuming they're in good shape, will these speakers be good for the mains in a 2-way system? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm. I did see where they were super thin, but I didn't see that as a problem if they are sitting on a bookshelf. The speakers are local so there wouldn't be any shipping costs. The website says "Serving equally well in any position in either two or multi-channel systems." I don't know much about this stuff, and I'd rather not deal with a subwoofer if I didn't have to.

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
The manual from the manufacturer says they only go down to 70 Hz; that is NOT a full-range speaker, and they are clearly intended to be used with a subwoofer.

A speaker with that weight and height and only 3 inches deep clearly will be very unstable unless they are anchored to a wall or attached securely to a large baseplate (like an HDTV monitor has).

You should really either look for speakers that go down below 50 Hz or plan on spending $400-500 on a decent subwoofer to go with those.

I would advise some floorstanding speakers that go down to 40-50 Hz. You will get better performance for your money.

The Mordaunt-Short Carnival 6 speakers sell for $250 each new and go down to 40 Hz; you might want to look at them.

$499 per pair from Needle Doctor. New; with warranty.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! The only thing is I need bookshelf speakers. No room for standing ones. Any advice on some bookshelves? I came across a pair of Klipsch rb61 for $300. From what I've read on this site, those are geared more towards theater setups? I'm definitely more into the music aspect, but am also on a budget. You think I need a new receiver? I have a 15 year old Sony STR-DE975. Thanks again.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I know this was from 5 years ago, but I use the Waltz Grand speakers as my rears. Great speakers for that application, but not so much as mains.

Heck, at the price that person was selling the pair for, I would have bought them and upgraded my room to 7.1. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts